Complete SQL Statements Video Tutorial

Today I present the whole SQL Statements Tutorial Video Series. I did my best to make sure, after you watch this series of videos, you will be an expert at programming with SQL. Please leave any comments and questions below.

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 1

Here I explain what SQL is & show many statements in SQL. I explain:

• What a Database is
  • Why you should use MySQL
  • What SQL is
  • Explain what a Relational Database Management System (RDMS) is
  • Show you how to Create a Table
  • Explain every SQL Data Type (Numeric, Character, Date, etc.)
  • Give you an Overview of what you’ll Learn in this Video Series

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 2
In this video I’ll completely cover many of the statements and capabilities available to you with SQL. More specifically I’ll cover the:

• Describe Statement
  • Insert Statement
  • Select Statement
  • Where Statement
  • How to Use Comments
  • Cover the Operators Available to you
  • Describe how to use the Count Function
  • Show you how to use Group By

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 3
In this video I’ll continue covering many of the statements and capabilities available to you with SQL. More specifically I’ll cover the:

• Like Statement: That allows you to Search for Specific Data
  • Regexp Statement: Which is a very advanced tool for Performing Searches in your Database
  • Show you how to use In
  • Explain the Different ways to use Not In
  • Explain the Capabilities of the Delete Statement

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 4

• The Alter Statement and the Many Capabilities it Provides you
  • Show you how to use the  Change Statement
  • Cover the uses of the Modify Statement
  • Explain how to use the Built In Numeric Functions
  • Show you how to use all of the SQL Built In String Functions

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 5
In this video I’ll cover some of the more confusing aspects of programming with SQL. You’ll learn how to talk like a database expert, after I explain what all of the jargon means. More specifically I’ll cover:

• What Atomic Data is
  • How to make your Tables Atomic
  • The Benefits of Atomic Tables
  • What Normalized Data is
  • The Rules to Follow to Create a Normalized Database
  • What a Primary Key is and how to use them
  • What a Foreign Key is and why they are Important

YouTube Preview Image

MySQL SQL Statements Tutorial 6
In this video I’ll cover some more confusing aspects of programming with SQL. Many people get hung up on how to manipulate multiple tables at once. I’ll explain all of the technical aspects behind it. More specifically I’ll cover:

• Working with Multiple Tables
  • The One-to-One Relationship
  • The One-to-Many Relationship
  • The Many-to-Many Relationship
  • How to Use the Between Statement
  • How to Manipulate Mult-Table Data
  • Explain in Detail how to Create Joins

I hope you enjoyed this video series. If you saw my other video’s in the series you know pretty much all there is to know about programming on the web. After I finish up my How to Code PHP Tutorial, I’ll move on to AJAX and Spiders.

If you have any questions leave them below.

Till Next Time

– Think Tank

26 Responses to “Complete SQL Statements Video Tutorial”

1. supprof1 says:

thank you derek. in your website we can find all what we need.
    you’re awesome

2. Atternina says:

You are just amazing Derek,
    Made my job a lot easier! I wouldn’t learn any of these anywhere else as easy as you teach!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge

3. Atternina says:

I have difficulty understanding the difference between the IN operator and the Exists operator!
    Also what is the used of Having Clause?
    I’ll appreciate if you could explain these for me please!

The IN Statement

You can use the IN Statement to shorten your queries in SQL. When you needed to search for specific values in the past, you had to write multiple comparison operators that were separated by OR statements. Ex:

SELECT first_name
      FROM us_presidents
      first_name = ‘Andrew’
      first_name = ‘James’
      OR … ;

With the IN Statement you can shorten this whole process:

SELECT first_name
      FROM us_presidents
      first_name IN (‘Andrew’,‘James’…);

Exists is used to test whether a result of any type comes back as true. I don’t often use it because there are other ways to get those same results.

4. Geeta says:

You are doing a great job. How can you possibly teach all of these technologies. You are very kind enough to be do this all free stuff. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and tutorials with us and I really appreciate your work. You are awesome.

Hi Geeta,

Thank you very much 🙂 I will keep making videos until I run out of ideas.

Feel free to leave a request and thank you for taking the time to say you appreciate them.

5. dikien says:

thanks, after html tutorial, I watched mysql series!! really awesome.
    I installed ubuntu with apach2 and mysql. Time goes so fast!

6. Robert says:

Thank you so much for all the videos. You are accurate and concise!

You showed us how to start MySQL database:
    After you log in to your account with your userid and password, you’ll be able to start creating databases and tables with SQL. You login to MySQL by typing the following statement: mysql -u derek -p
    How do we save the file?
    Can we save it to a different directory?
    How re-open it again?
    Go back and add more tables?
    Enter more data?

I’m a beginner and just installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server. During install, I select to install LAMP. Therefore, I assume MySQL is installed.

Thank you for the kind words 🙂 If you installed Ubuntu (Great Call) Apache, MySQL, and everything else is probably already installed. This is definitely true if you installed Ubuntu Server Edition.

If not you can install it pretty easily.

Harder Way : Type sudo apt-get install apache2 in the terminal to install Apache. What ever you store in /var/www will show up in a browser for localhost.

The easy way to accomplish an Apache install by clicking System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. Then look for and mark for install apache2.
      Do the same for php5, mysql-server, phpmyadmin in the package manager.

To test if apache and PHP work create the file /var/www/testphp.php and paste the following line in that file < ?php phpinfo(); ?>

Then go to http://localhost/testphp.php in a browser.

To test phpmyadmin go here http://localhost/phpmyadmin

I hope that helps

• Robert says:

That didn’t answer my question, but was help in other areas. I retyped my questions to be more clear.

I’m a beginner and just installed Ubuntu 12.04 SERVER. During install, I select to install LAMP.

How do I save the MySQL Database file to our hard drive?
        What is the command to close the database file?
        What is the command to re-open the database file again?
        Open the database to add more tables?
        Open the database to enter more data, records into the data tables?

Also – do you know if LAMP installed a Web browser?

Take a look at my MySQL video tutorial. It starts in part 14 of my Web Design and Programming tutorial. On that page you’ll be able to easily flip from video to video. It is a pretty comprehensive tutorial. I have a bunch of SQL tutorials if you need more help. Some tutorials are fast and others are slower. Tell me if this works for you

7. Ashish M says:

Please make videos on Oracle and PL/SQL. Thanks.

8. Sandip Bhaumik says:

Thanks for tutorials.

Can you please upload some Spring integration tutorials.

Calcutta, India.

Hi Sandip

You’re very welcome. I’ll definitely try to integrate Spring and Hibernate into the other Java tutorials I already have planned. Thank you for the request

9. Anonymous says:

Hi Mr.Derek,

Awesome job! Thank You! If I could say, you tend to talk really fast sometimes(first 2 videos), a slightly slower pace would be easier to follow, not that it is a big problem, we could always listen again 🙂 Video tutorials are great since they take the boredom out of reading. And yours are super great since they are free and reliable too!

10. Jayakrishnan says:

Salute to you sir…………Really Great Videos……

11. Duncan says:

Hello Sir its wonderful and easy to understand , thanks a million

12. Duncan says:

I certainly enjoyed the simple approach you took with some of these , do you have anything on C## ?

13. Eli says:

Your videos has had the single largest impact on my quests to be a programmer. Your ability to explain seemingly complex concepts and syntax with calming ease is impeccable. Tons of burdens are lifted off my chest each time you say “..and if you don’t know what this means, don’t worry about it..”. But yet that rarely happens. Your videos are very clear. You are my role model. If programming was incantations and spells you would be Gandalf “the White”. The greatest of them all. Thank you sooo much. You have no idea how much you are helping me build this new skill. When I make it, I will send you a check for an insane amount of money. You have my word.

Thank you for all the nice compliments Eli 🙂 I greatly appreciate them way more then you know. There is no need to donate. I have no need for money. I wish you all the best in life.