Gestures and Body Language: Eyes

Eye Body LanguageKellyBee23, wrote me and asked, “Do you know how to read Gestures and Body Language? If so teach me.” Well KellyBee23, I’ve spent quite a bit of time studying Gestures and Body Language. Below I’ll list everything the expert’s agree on, in regards to what eye movement’s mean.

In future article’s I will cover all of the other part’s of the body. By the end you will be an expert in reading Body Language. I’ll create a Body Language Video as soon as possible.

This information comes from reading over 25 psychology and law enforcement training manual’s. Enjoy!

Specifics About the Eyes

• A person’s eyes dilate strongly when they are very stimulated and in a problem solving mode. At maximum dilation, the person is ready to make a decision which is more likely to be positive.
  • An eyebrow raise is a sign that a person isn’t threatening. When you eye brow raise someone they will often smile. This is a very submissive sign or at least is perceived that way.
  • The first person to look away after first meeting is the more submissive.
  • If a person is maintaining strong eye contact they are either, interested in you if their eyes are dilated or challenging you if their eyes are constricted.
  • If someone gives you a sideways glance, look at their eye brows. If they are raised, they like you, if not, they don’t.
  • The most threatening look is achieved by moving narrowed eyes first to your target then followed by a head move.

Spot Lies in the Eye’s

• 70% of liars, based off of studies, maintain strong eye contact with their victims far above average.
  • If a person’s blink rate increases, they are likely lying.
  • If a person’s eyes are darting around they are getting bored or nervous.

Building Rapport with the Eye’s

• When first meeting a person shake hands with strong eye contact and then give them at least 3 seconds to look you over uninterrupted
  • To build strong rapport you should look them in the eyes for 60 to 70% of the time you are together.

Reading Mind’s by Watching the Eye’s

• If a person is remembering a visual thought they will look up and toward your right.
  • If they are constructing a visual thought they will look up and to your left.
  • For example if asked what color is your house they will look up and to your right. If asked to imagine their house was purple with yellow polka dots they would look the opposite.
  • If a person looks sideways and to your right they are remembering something they heard.
  • If they are constructing something they will look sideways and to your left.
  • For example if asked what is your favorite song they will look sideways and to your right. If asked to imagine what sounds a jackalope would make they would look the opposite.
  • If a person is recalling a feeling or emotion they look down and to your left.
  • If a person is talking to themselves they look down and to your right.

That’s All Folk’s

In the next article, I’ll cover everything you can read from watching hand body language. If you’d like more information on How to Detect Liars click here. There is a body language video there! If you have a question you want answered, leave a comment below.

Here to Serve

Think Tank

23 Responses to “Gestures and Body Language: Eyes”

1. Max says:

I find this stuff is really interesting, however, the only downsider was that, sometimes I just didn’t get the gestures and positions you were talking about since i’m not 100% fluent in english. Which some kind of 3D graphic video would help out alot with.

I understand if you don’t know how to do this, but I bet there’s always people who wants to help! 🙂

2. Barb says:

Hello! Some of my research interests include the philosophy of gesture, so I found this video to be extremely interesting. I have not done much (any?) research on the psychological motivations toward embodied expression. So thank you for posting!

You mention that this research is based on training manuals from psychology and law enforcement – both professions that require keen awareness of body language. Have you found these materials to be gender/sex specific? (ie. the purse example is obvious but is based in the possession of a common object, would men do this with a satchel or briefcase?) In your reading have women and men generally embodied things in a similar manner and does the material generally attribute this to gender or personality type? Does the literature make these distinctions? Sorry one more – have you found any distinctions across cultures or was your reading primarily based in North America or English-speaking countries? Thank you so much for this – it has really piqued my interest. 🙂

I’m glad you found this so helpful. The research was taken from numerous books on interrogation, negotiation, nlp, and body language. It is specific to north America however most would apply across many other cultures. Most body language occurs because of chemical reactions, security or arousal. Since these things are outside of our control we must succumb to them eventually. Women are much better at noticing body language since they have a better ability to notice what is up close while men are more aware of things in the distance. Aside from that and physical differences (how women cross their legs and awareness of breasts) they are very similar.

Verbal analysis is given much more weight by law enforcement than body language. I also think you would gain much more understanding on how a person thinks if you study my information on nlp, metaprogramming and personality analysis. If you need anything else just ask. Thanks Derek 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

If we ask someone, where was you last night, and he answer with look up and right. That means that he is constructing now. Can we know with certainty that he is lying?

You could do that. You could also ask them where they were. If they say the movie theater, you could then ask them how did the water main break on main st effect you? If they give you a fake answer you know they are lying. I have more stuff on detecting liars here How to Detect a Liar

• Anonymous says:

In your article above you state that looking up and right means someone is recalling something visual. That sounds right to me, I notice I look up and right when visualising an event.
        Across and right is said to be constructing which I would call imagining. Lying is surely more a matter of verbal construction ?, even then construction could mean something positive just as easily. So how can you agree with this questioner saying that up and right makes it more likely the person they are talking about is lying ? The vesion I have heard is that up and left while answering a question is more likely to suggest lying.

4. Jonathan says:

Hey there

Thanks for your videos on body language, they have helped me a lot!

May I ask you for some suggestions for reading material on the subject? Which books did you find particularly good?

J

5. Anonymous says:

You have probably the most comprehensive and user friendly tutorials written/video on this subject. I’m working on trying to master body language so my question is do you have any material you could forward me I have little to no access to the internet besides my phone.

6. marsha says:

i really like this guy but he knows body language and he is also legally blind, i was told by him that i was a conflict of interest.. i have also been told that he likes me… my question is how do you tell if some one that is legally blind likes you by body language and if they know how to read it so they hide theirs from you? please email me at the above address… thank you.

Sorry, I have never seen anything specifically about reading the body language of the blind. I don’t want to give you bad information

7. najooB says:

I really dnot understand what you mean when you talking about womens legs, so i have question: how they will sit when they dnot like my presence? (you was say that they sit with cross or uncross when they like me, and this is really confuze to me)
    Sorry for bad english, i am watching this videos over and over because its so funny and helpful in real life.

8. Hannah Ursell says:

Hi Derek, I would just like to thank you already, I am only 3 minutes into your Gestures and Body Language video but it has helped me so much when creating my very important presentation on ‘How a combination of speech and body language can influence and effect people’s emotions’. My real life issue for my presentation is the ongoing policians and their body language. You said in this video that you should not touch any other part of their body when shaking someone’s hand unless you have an intimate relationship with them, now I found this facinating as I saw a recent Romney video, he is shaking the crowds hand and touching their upper arm. This could have an effect on their emotions as it makes them feel more comfortable and special, etc.. but I would like to thank you for this really great video, it’s helped me a lot!

You are very welcome 🙂 Yes the brief touch to the elbow or shoulder is used often by people that are experienced with using NLP techniques. Both of the candidates are pretty well versed from what I’ve seen. It surprises me that they are ever caught off guard though like they both have been during the election.

If you have any questions I’ll be happy to anser them. I have tons of tutorials on this subject as well as others on NLP. Thanks for the kind words – Derek

9. Joselyn says:

Hello, by any chance, do you have some of the sources that you used to make this article? I am really interested in the topic.

Joselyn

10. Nyron says:

Hey! This is the first video I have seen and it has been very useful. It is very agreeable for some, I still have to test the other. Well I’m sorry to ask but is it possible if you can make anything about Graphology, the study of handwriting analasys. Well I will be looking forward to the other vids I’m gonna check out in a while.( my net is bad) well thanks for this great information and lime I said hopefully you would be willing to talk about Graphology. Thanks again

Thank you 🙂 Very often I have started handwriting analysis tutorials, but I have never finished them. I’ll see if I can pull my notes together an make a video on the topic. Thank you for the request

11. Claire Stout says:

Body language has always been important to me, starting with my chidren, look ’em in the eye and give a good Texas handshake when meeting anyone. You can read so much or reveal so much with eye contact or NOT.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gestures and Body Language: Eyes | Hanes Psychology - [...] via Gestures and Body Language: Eyes [...]