Adobe Illustrator CS5 Tutorial

Illustrator CS5 Review TutorialIn these two video’s I show you how to use Adobe Illustrator CS5. I created this tutorial because of a request from DeathByKazillion.

Adobe Illustrator Tutorial & Review Part 1

Here I cover every new feature available with Illustrator CS5 and provide a review.

I cover specifically:

• Bristle Brush
  • Perspective Tool
  • Paste into Text
  • Creating Custom Brushes
  • Live Paint
  • Live Trace

If you like videos like this tell Google
To make me extra happy, feel free to share it

Adobe Illustrator Tutorial & Review Part 2

Here I show you how to convert a jpeg or any image into vector art / EPS with Illustrator CS5. I also cover:

• Rasterizing Images
  • Live Trace
  • Live Paint
  • The Pen Tool’s
  • Convert Muli-color Image into Vector Art
  • Working with Text Tool’s
  • Using Gradients
  • Using Strokes
  • Using the Knife Tool
  • Cleaning up Vector Art
  • And a bunch more in just 9 minutes

Adobe Illustrator Tutorial & Review Part 3

Here I show you how to use every other tool available with Illustrator CS5. I also cover:

• Line tools
  • Shape tools
  • Layers
  • Colors
  • Text
  • Art boards
  • A bunch of random tip’s and trick’s

That’s All Folk’s

If you have a question you want me to answer, or if you have a comment, leave it below.

Here to Serve

Think Tank

57 Responses to “Adobe Illustrator CS5 Tutorial”

1. Emma says:

Can you paste a vector image beside text like a bullet point in illustrator? You could in freehand :(!
    Can you help?

2. JoeH says:

Outstanding how much information you fit into just 3 videos! Thank you!

3. Vera says:

Dear Think Tank ๐Ÿ™‚
    I just got engaged and as an engagement present my fiance got me the adobe Cs4 illustrator but Im not familiar with it. Could you do a tutorial on how to make Save the Dates or engagement party invitations by uploading .jpg files and incorporating different elements? This would be sooo greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

4. crizz says:

Iยดm new to adobe illustrator and your tuts are really awsome. Easy understandable and well explained. I was working with photoshop before and i loved it, but now iยดm flipped off with ai. Thanks for the great work. . .

5. Pauline says:

Dear Think Tank,
    I wanted to copy a word (other than roman style) from Microsoft Word into Adobe Illustrator. However, right after I paste them, the words turned into boxes. How do I solve this problem?

Microsoft Word uses odd styling that most other programs don’t understand. I don’t know why this has never been fixed, but it hasn’t? You could try saving the file in a format other than doc or docx and then try to copy and paste into Illustrator. Hope that helps?

6. Jennifer says:

My dad and I both race dirt track cars, and we have a guy who designs our canvas wraps with Illustrator.Well my dad thought it would be fun to do our designs, so he bought me the software….and I’m clueless on where to begin. I know the guy always gave us a copy of a late model car template with his custom designs on it, but I’m a graphic design major, so I’ve worked with Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop, but not with Illustrator yet.

I’ll help in anyway I can. I have 6 Illustrator videos currently and plan on making many more soon. If you have any specific questions pass them along. Thanks

7. Veronica says:

Hello – I found this tutorial very helpful. I am trying to convert a pencil drawing into a slicker version in Illustrator. What tools are best to say trace the drawing?

8. Ricky says:

Hi. Thanks for sharing. it really heps and i learned a lot today. cheers

9. Tony says:

Nice good in using Adobe Illustrator and Imovie. You should make Imovie tutorials.

10. Cliff says:

I make a lot of my designs in ACAD and was wondering how to bring them into Illustrator to color them up.

From autocad to illustrator simply File>Save As> Call it whatever you want but make sure you select 2004 dwg from the drop down menu. Then you can open it in Illustrator and it will give you options to scale it however you want. I have found that this works with incredibly complex combinations of layers and Polylines and all sorts

11. Steve says:

Hi, great tutorials. I have a bunch of company logo’s (png’s jpeg’s etc)I need to change to vectors. I tried using the live trace facility (1st time), but some of the edges weren’t straight afterwards (for example, I have a “V” with a bezel, and Livetrace takes the shape of the bezel and not the outer edge). Whats the best way to re-create these logo’s and straighten any edges? Thanks!

All you can do is play with the settings in live trace. It’s not perfect, but you normally can get very good results. I often redraw the fonts. If you don’t know what the font is use whatthefont.com

I hope that helps

12. Josh says:

Amazing tutorial just what I needed as a beginner in illustrator. I will be watching for new tuts.

13. bishihot says:

like it and thanks

14. angelstar says:

I am upgrading from CS2 and there have been lots of changes since CS2, which by the way has served me well.. could you go over all changes since CS2 or is that asking too much!

Here are all of the tools that have been added since CS2

Multiple artboards
      Multipage output
      Separations Preview

Hope that helps?
      Derek

15. Rick Scott says:

Love the tutorial. If you could make it downloadable from the website that would be awesome! I am currently in Afghanistan where our internet is not to par. It took me 45 min to watch the first video. Downloading the videos would allow me to watch them when I was not able to connect. Thanks for your time,
    SSG Scott, Richard A.

Tell me how to ship the tutorial to you and I’ll send you every video on a DVD by mail. Since I think I have to get a flat rate box, is there anything else you want me to send?

Derek

16. Momo says:

The basic tutorial helped me a lot. Thank you!

17. anys says:

do you have tutorial on how to change the file from .ai to .png ?

18. Mony says:

I am new with Illustrator and I was wondering if you could help me understand how to work with vectors, to practice I tried to edit text from one card I have but as each letter is in a different layer I do not understand how to change it. I hope you can help me out with this. I appreciate your help in advance.

I normally work on one layer for everything I do unless the project is very complicated. In that situation I put all of the text on 1 layer and the other major art pieces on other layers. To merge layers select them in the layer panel on the right side of your screen. Hit the button in the upper right hand corner of that tool and click Merge Selected. That should do it

19. Mony says:

Thanks for all the tutorials, they have helped me a lot and I find it very useful that they go directly to the point and in a few minutes I learned basic stuff!!

20. Dylan says:

Enjoyed the videos and learned a lot, but not what I’m desperate for. I have an outlined image that is already vector in Illustrator with all the inside areas as white. I am trying to break it into multiple colors. The outline black and various inside areas as different colors for a total of 3 colors. I cannot figure this out. I need them broke into separate color areas for color changing. HELP?!?!?!

21. Mike says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to make these video’s and sharing your knowledge about AI. They helped out greatly. This is an “add to favorites” site. Here is something I would like to learn, taking a jpg, tiff, or raw photograph and converting it into a vector. Not sure if AI could do that. I have a specific reason for asking.

22. Darshan says:

hi your all tutorial and tricks very very very helpful…but i want download it now second time can u pls make download option pls….and when i see u r tutorial i change my thinking to work on illustrator….carry on to make new tutorial and new tricks…again THANKS FOR SHARING>>>>

23. darshan says:

hello ….
    u r tutorial is very very very helpful ….. but i want to download it … next time can u pls make download option..pls..
    and when i watch u r turorial i change my thinking to work in illustrator…again thx for sharing …..keep it up…make new tutorial and tricks …… Thankyou thankyou for SHARING….

24. Olsunkanmi says:

Hello sir, how i wish i had the mechanism to even send you some $..am in Nigeria and i have enjoyed your video tutorials ranging from php->ajax->jquery->flash design->adobe..and still counting..may God bless you real good..i can now consider myself a web developer.can u also try and delve into Joomla??

Hello, Don’t ever feel the need to donate anything. I’m very happy that you are learning new things from my site. I made it to provide a free education for all. If you want to do anything just tell your friends about it.

I did a massive tutorial on WordPress that is over 70 videos in length. I may create a Joomla tutorial, but it hasn’t been easy because the Joomla developers information is very hard to find. I’ll do my best ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek

25. Michael says:

Hi, thanks tonnes for your tutorial. I need some help though as I am a little confused. Say that I have a blue circle with a yellow star overtop of it with the points of the star sticking out the sides of the circle. How do I use the pathfinder tools to cut off the parts of the star that overhang the circles edge?

Select both the circle and the star. Click on Divide in the Pathfinder. Ungroup everything and delete the points on the star that you want to get rid of

26. Michael says:

Can you do a tutorial on the mesh tool? Thats about the only thing left that i don’t know how to use.

27. sarin says:

i am very gratefull that you share ur knowledge with us and i have a query it goes like this:

i want to paste the photo in a box like i do in freehand but when using the clipping mask the border i have of the box will dissapear so would you help me by telling the appropriate method of pasting the image inside the box without hiding its border as well!!

thank you!!

I’m not certain what you want to do, but to paste an image in a vector box:

1. Copy your image
      2. Select the box and click Draw Inside on your tool bar
      3. Paste in the box

I hope that helps

28. Ian says:

Hi! I’m from the Philippines, got a few question regarding to the Adobe Illustrator. What is the significance between Photoshop and illustrator? a bit of confuse ’cause some of photographers choose illustrator rather then photoshop regarding to editing photo’s. Gladly if you’ll reply, Thanks!

The difference between photoshop art and illustrator art is photoshop uses raster images and illustrator uses vector art. Raster images: jpeg, png, bitmap, gif, etc. Vector Art: EPS, AI, etc. Vector art is drawn and can be resized without degrading. Raster images degrade as they are enlarged. I hope that helps – Derek

29. rony says:

hi,
    admin brother, i cannot found adobe illustrator 5 pdf download . how can i do that , please send your address in my email.

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what you are looking for. I doubt I have this file anymore because I made this video a long time ago. Is that what you are looking for?

30. Paul says:

How do I get the DRAW tool to enable on my PC…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Illustrator – Creating a 3D Snooker Ball (Part 1) | Snooker Game Download - [...] Adobe Illustrator CS5 Tutorial | New Think Tank [...]
  2. The Best Adobe Illustrator Tutorials for Beginners | CreativeFan - [...] 2. General Tutorial from NewThinkTank.com [...]