What Should I Do

QuestionI’ve recently been hit with a ton of requests for tutorials. I want you all to know I received them and plan to do them as soon as possible, but I need help ranking them.

Below I’m listing all of the tutorials that you have been requesting. Who ever comments first will decide which tutorial I do next. If your second in line, your tutorial will go next and so on.

Because I’ve received so many requests for a Python 2.7 Tutorial, I will cover that next. Then I’ll move on to your other requests.

If there is a tutorial that you want, that I don’t list, leave it below as well. I’m trying to make my site as democratic as possible and this was the only way I knew how. One vote per person please πŸ™‚ Here is the list:

• Flash Cartoon Tutorial for People who can’t Draw
  • More Body Language Tutorials
  • More Regular Expression Tutorials
  • Java Tutorial
  • More JQuery Tutorials

Till Next Time

Think Tank

15 Responses to “What Should I Do”

1. Here’s my vote: “How to Create a WordPress Theme”.

Also one for you to consider that’s not on the list: “Time Management As An Entrepreneur”. Would be interested to see your input and tips on this subject.

Thanks for all your hard work!

I will definitely do this tutorial on WordPress themes. Here are the upcoming tutorials in order:
      1. Python 2.7 and Automated Websites
      2. PHP Security
      3. How to Make a WordPress Theme
      4. iPhone / iPad Massive Tutorial
      5. Time Management

I think the biggest problem entrepreneurs have with time management is trying to keep everyone happy. Most people are constantly diverted to whoever is screaming at them now. Create a schedule and stick to it. Don’t move on to another project until the first is finished.

I’ve worked with close to a hundred entrepreneurs and they also don’t turn down work. Get rid of demanding customers, because they will end up eating up your time. I don’t care how much they pay you! If you sense they will be trouble makers get rid of them. Many people look at entrepreneurs as cheap labor. They offer you $5000 for a job and then demand repeat work for free there after. If you don’t comply they will threaten to ruin your name.

Hope that helps

• Great! Thanks for the reply. I definitely agree with your point about demanding customers. They can be a nightmare and it puts you in a lose lose situation.

One of the issues I wrestle with is how much time do I spend on promoting a product? ie. copywriting, developing the website, link building, debugging/testing etc. It’s easy to lose track of time and get carried away with one thing trying to perfect it.

I find sometimes a set schedule doesn’t work because some areas require more attention than others, and as an entrepreneur you’re always running into new challenges.

Anyway, I look forward to your tutorial on WordPress themes. Thanks again.

I wouldn’t spend a lot of time developing the look for your site. You’ll get the best return on investment by doing YouTube videos. Over 70% of my traffic comes from my videos there. After you do a bunch they become very easy to shoot out on a regular basis.

Then having a lot of original content is important. I cover how to generate traffic here Nobody Goes to Your Website and here Website Promotion. Hope they help?

2. Fred says:

I would vote for a C/C++ tutorial! YouTube lacks any good tutorials on those languages.
    Another language you could do is x86/AMD64 assembly.

I will gladly great a C++ tutorial. Do you want it to be presented like my other recent tutorials? I didn’t do it because I thought it had been done to many times already

• Fred says:

If you are doing any C/C++ tutorials, do them like your more recent ones. But if you are afraid that what you are doing have been done before, you can wait a while and be one of the first to make C++0x the upcoming standard) tutorials!

3. Palm says:

Another thing you could do is a tutorial on networks. You know: sockets, ports, TCP/IP, telnet/SSH and how to use them. I have watched your Python 2.7 tutorials but I don’t think you covered networking that well there. That was probably for simplicity but you could probaby cover it more in future Python tutorials, as it is a very interesting subject. If you don’t want to add it to your Python tutorials, you could make a “networking theory” tutorial.
    // Palm

4. poppigirl says:

Hi-
    I really enjoy your web tutorials- specifically the PowerPoint ones…
    I was wondering if you could give a tutorial on making interesting /dynamic PowerPoints.
    I teach and also serve on several boards and occasionally need to give lectures or reports. Bottom line; my presentations suck.
    My captive audience would appreciate any help you can give.
    thanks
    dawn

I’m very happy you took the time to post a tutorial request. I will definitely create a tutorial on how to create great powerpoint presentations. I give presentations all of the time both in public and online. The topic is always the most important part. Humor is an absolute must in most every presentation as well.

Also you have to be prepared for the doubters. Some people are just hard wired to disagree. It’s just how they sort information. You must always be prepared for them however, and disarm them before they can respond. My canned response to a doubter is that “This information doesn’t come from me. It comes from the minds that created some of the most respected books on this topic.”

I think any subject can be presented in an interesting way. What subjects are you struggling with? Are you looking for slide / transition design ideas?

Thanks

5. Sbo says:

Hi Derek

Thank you for all the work you have done to help us find our way in programming and I’m hoping to join you in making video tutorials for young programmers like myself as soon as I’m a code master such as yourself.

I was wondering if you could cover QR Codes on one of your tutorials to come more on reading the QR Code from your phone camera. you don’t have to make a whole tutorial on its own just featuring the technology as an example on Andriod or j2EE tutorials to come would be more then appreciated.

Thanks again for all your asistance.

Regards
    Sbo Magwaza

Thank you Sbo πŸ™‚ Yes I’ll cover QR codes in my Android tutorial. That tutorial will cover just about everything you can imagine. I’ll start it very soon

6. Sid Rajan says:

What does it mean to have a lucid dream? It sounds interesting. Is it easy to do?

It is a dream in which you realize you are dreaming and can control what happens. It isn’t that hard to do if you keep a dream journal. You then need to force yourself to do something in the dream that proves you are dreaming. It can be something simple like touching your thumb to your fore finger. Then you go at it. It takes practice, but I mastered it in less than 2 weeks.