Python 2.7 Tutorial Pt 15

PythonIn this video tutorial I’ll explain how to use the Tkinter module for designing Python GUI applications. I specifically teach you how to setup:

• The Interface
  • Tkinter Labels
  • Tkinter Buttons, Radio Buttons and Checkboxs
  • Accept User Input
  • Call Python Methods with Event Handling

This tutorial is part 1 of my series on using Tkinter with Python.

Like always, a lot of code follows the video. If you have any questions or comments leave them below. And, if you missed my other Python Tutorials they are available here:

[adsense]

Here is All the Code from the Video

from tkinter import *
import tkinter.messagebox

def beenClicked():
radioValue = relStatus.get()
tkinter.messagebox.showinfo(“You clicked”, radioValue)
return

def changeLabel():
name = “Thanks for the click ” + yourName.get()
labelText.set(name)
yourName.delete(0, END)
yourName.insert(0, “My name is Derek”)
return

app = Tk()
app.title(“GUI Example”)
app.geometry(‘450×300+200+200′)

labelText = StringVar()
labelText.set(“Click button”)
label1 = Label(app, textvariable=labelText, height=4)
label1.pack()

checkBoxVal = IntVar()
checkBox1 = Checkbutton(app, variable=checkBoxVal, text=”Happy?”)
checkBox1.pack()

custName = StringVar(None)
yourName = Entry(app, textvariable=custName)
yourName.pack()

relStatus = StringVar()
relStatus.set(None)
radio1 = Radiobutton(app, text=”Single”, value=”Single”, variable = relStatus, command=beenClicked).pack()
radio1 = Radiobutton(app, text=”Married”, value=”Married”, variable = relStatus, command=beenClicked).pack()

button1 = Button(app, text=”Click Here”, width=20,command=changeLabel)
button1.pack(side=’bottom’,padx=15,pady=15)

app.mainloop()

27 Responses to “Python 2.7 Tutorial Pt 15”

1. Mihai says:

Nice tutorials 🙂
    thank you!

it would be very useful to be able to download the scripts directly somehow.
    Copy paste is a mess. actually it’s still not working. I have to rewrite everything from scratch.

Success

2. Leonid says:

Dear Admin,

What can be a problem if your program works perfect except
    import tkinter.messagebox?

The mistake is:
    Exception in Tkinter callback
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “C:\Python27\LIB\LIB-TK\Tkinter.py”, line 1410, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
    File “C:/Python27/Work_py/Window/simpleWindow.py”, line 7, in beenClicked
    tkinter.messagebox.showninfo(“You clicked”, radioValue)
    AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘messagebox’

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “C:/Python27/Work_py/Window/simpleWindow.py”, line 2, in
    import Tkinter.messagebox
    ImportError: No module named messagebox

I’ve installed Tkinter and windows and buttons work perfect except messagebox…

Thanks in advance.
    Grate tutorial by the way!!

Try getting rid of import tkinter.messagebox all together. If you imported the tkinter module you don’t really need it anyway. I was just showing how to import the message box all by itself.

• Leonid says:

Thanks a lot.

But it doesn’t work any way..

What doesn’t work?

• Jeremi Bauer says:

Derek,

I did as you instructed above and when I click the Single/Married radio button I get this message in the console:

Exception in Tkinter callback
            Traceback (most recent call last):
            File “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py”, line 1410, in __call__
            return self.func(*args)
            File “/Users/___________________ /Documents/workspace/New Test/src/NewTest.py”, line 8, in beenClicked
            tkinter.messagebox.showinfo(“You Clicked”, radioValue)
            AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘messagebox’

3. Jason says:

Great tutorial, so much info. I have watched the video numerous times and it has helped me put a nice little GUI together. I am wondering if you know how to make a text box that allows one to drag and drop a folder in order to get the complete path to that folder. Basically, a text box that acts like the terminal does when dropping a folder onto the command line on a Mac. Thanks!

4. Arch says:

Hi if you want to create a Menu on a Frame that already has buttons and other widgets on it, can you explain that please.

e

5. Bill Wilder says:

Thanks for the tutorial, in my computer labelTExt.set(name) doesn’t work. Any idea?

6. siyanda says:

these are the best tutorial videos i ever seen,,im doing computer science first year at university of western cape and they help me get along with my course.
    thanks upload more

7. matt winchester says:

Dear admin
    Great tutorials up to 9# 10-15 seemed hard to learn when and
    where. Im confused but I love python and I made great things from your first 9 tutorials. I made progress until session 10?
    What happened ?
    matt

8. matt winchester says:

Dear admin
    Best teacher I found so far up to 10th tutorial?
    matt