Create a WordPress Theme 5

Create a WordPress Theme 5Here I finish my WordPress Theme Tutorial by showing you how to create the archive and 404 pages.

I also show you how to issue custom queries and how to use a bunch of other WordPress functions in this tutorial.

All of the code for this whole theme  is here Create a WordPress Theme. You can also download the finished theme there for free. And, if you missed part 1 of this series check out How to Layout a Website.

If you enjoyed this series, share it with others with a click

Till Next Time

Think Tank

20 Responses to “Create a WordPress Theme 5”

1. Roger says:

Great tutorials! Some tutorials about SSL would be great!

You’re the best.

2. Menno says:

This tutorials are the best

Maby you will think about a tutorial to make a wordpress theme for the mobile devices. Whit the browser detect function.

3. Menno says:

Hi derek,

At this moment i almost finisched my wordpress theme thnx to your great tutorials.
    But now im stuck, my theme looks verry nice in firefox and google chrome webbrowser.
    But looks like shit in internet explorer. The menu is al massed up and some div boxes are out of the positions.

Can you tell me how i can fix this this problem.

Thnx alot

Greets Menno

Hi Menno

What version of Internet Explorer are you using? If it is 6, the default WordPress menu system doesn’t work with it. Even the WordPress 2010 and 2011 themes don’t work with IE 6. I don’t care about it since less than 5% of people still use it. The menu should work in everything else from what I’ve checked.

• Menno says:

Its internet explorer 7 if im right.
        But if thats treu i think im gonna leave it the way it is now.
        But that leaves me whit the issue of the div box thats not positioned the way should.

If i chance some postioning options in the css i can solve the problem for ie, but when i do its massed up in firefox.
        I think i have to make a style sheet specialy for ie but excualy i dont know how to do this.

4. menno says:

thnx alot but after a long search on google i already found out the solution.

But im sure its verry helpfull for a lot of people.

5. Rizwan Ahmad says:

sir please help me. In my wordpress admin panel the plugins menu not display. i want to installed plgins but the plgins not diplay in my admin panel how can display bpgins menu in admin area?

6. Ricardo says:

Hi Derek!

Thank you very much for your videos, they are awesome. I am starting to check them out but I was wondering if any of your wordpress theme tutorials teach how to create a template that is responsive, that will look nice on computers and mobile devices as well.
    Almost all the new themes for wordpress are responsive and I would like to create one like that for my website. Any suggestions??

Thank you very much 🙂 I never make a specific mobile WP theme, but all of my themes run on smart phones. I’m planning on making more smart phone / tablet targeted sites in my android tutorial

7. Mamta says:

You are awesome! I have learnt a lot from your vids and have recently been following this wordpress series of tutorials and have been able to make one exact copy of the theme. However, I’m not sure what additional step is required to get the small archive box in the right-sidebar on the home page right below the socialIcons. I did add archive to my right-sidebar widget, but it still doesn’t display. Please sugggest!

Thanks so much.

I’m glad it has helped. If the site is online I can take a look. Send me the url.

• Mamta says:

Thanks for the quick reply. I got it working after fixing some silly errors here and there. I don’t have the site online as I used it for learning purpose only.
        I must tell you what lots of others would already have said..You are doing an amazing work by making these tutorials as its a real help for people like us who want to learn but have limited time and resources. Thank you so much for your help.

I’m very happy if you find the site useful. The original goal was to provide a free education to all. I’ll do my best to keep making as many videos as possible.

8. agam sahu says:

Hey derek !!! i have a got a website in PHP and i have to convert into WordPress. It has contact us page, carrer resume upload page and has slider also (It is almost like this). Can you create a video for this or drop a hint so that i can create it? Thanks In Advance