XML Video Tutorial

XML Video TutorialI recently asked what tutorial you’d like to see next. The most popular request was for a new XML Video Tutorial. So, since I can make this pretty quickly I decided to cover XML now.

When you start learning XML it seems very simple. That however changes very quickly. In the next few tutorials, I’ll do my best to make learning XML much easier.

The code that follows the video will help you learn.

If you like videos like this tell Google

Always feel free to share

Here is the development system I use Eclipse.

Code from the Video

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- The above is the XML Declaration -->
<!-- XML eXtensible Markup Language is used for storing information -->
<!-- XML is used for describing the structure on information -->
<!-- XML is also used for transporting information -->
<!-- XML isn't a language, but instead it's a series of rules for organizing data -->

<!-- Link to XSLT style sheet -->

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="tvshow.xsl" ?>

<!-- The Root Element: Only one -->
<!-- The only XML allowed outside of the root is the processing instruction and comments -->
<!-- XML is case sensitive | Most of the time elements must have a opening and closing tag -->
<!-- Element names can start with a letter _ or :. (May Contain digits) (xml is reserved) -->

<!-- To display XML without processing use CDATA -->
	<!-- Unparsed character data -->
	<!-- <![CDATA[ -->
		<name>Life On Mars</name>
		<network country="US">ABC</network>
		<!-- Empty elements don't require a matching closing tag if it has a final slash -->
		<!-- Attribute values must be between quotes -->
		<poster href="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM4MDg2NTk1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI4OTY5MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR12,0,214,317_.jpg" width="214" height="317" />
		<!-- You can add attributes that help explain the data -->
		<!-- Attribute values must always be in quotes -->
		<viewers units="millions">7.82</viewers>
		<!-- There are 5 character entities : & &amp; - ' &apos; - > &gt; - < &lt; - " &quot; -->
	<!-- ]]>  End of CDATA -->
		<name>Life On Mars</name>
		<network country="UK">BBC</network>
		<poster href="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQxNzc5MjQwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU3Njc4Mg@@._V1._SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg" width="214" height="317" />
		<viewers units="millions">6.8</viewers>
		<name>Freaks and Geeks</name>
		<network country="US">ABC</network>
		<poster href="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ5OTEzODYyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjcxNTcwMg@@._V1._SY317_CR24,0,214,317_.jpg" width="214" height="317" />
		<viewers units="millions">6.77</viewers>

23 Responses to “XML Video Tutorial”

1. Lucas says:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I’m missing the xml options in Eclipse… Do I need some kind of a special extension or a plug-in or something else to create an xml file? Or should I install this ‘web editor’?

I just use the standard web plugin that is built in. The XML editor is terrible so don’t use it. I’m yet to find a good free xml plugin for XML. If you don’t see what I have on the screen you may need to update Eclipse to the newest version. I hope that helps

2. Azeez says:

Thanks a great deal for putting this videos on here. Is it possible to download or purchase your your tutorial videos?

3. Milan says:

I was wondering if you could help me with this code?
    I have to write down an XML file for this code ,
    so if you have some time to help me I would be grateful.
    By the way, your tutorials are the best,thank you for sharing the
    knowlege with us 🙂

Ime i prezime
    Maticni broj
    Registarski broj kola

Prva registracija
    Ponovna registracija
    Placen porez
    Placena taksa
    Placen tehnicki

4. Himansh says:

Good Tutorials!
    Can you please make tutorials on Dos?

That will be very helpful

Thanks Again!

Thank you 🙂 Sorry I can’t cover DOS at this time because I don’t have a PC. Eventually I’ll install Windows on my MAC so I can cover C# and other PC only technologies

5. Andrew says:

Wonderful tutorial.

BTW, the XSL file name that is given differs in the video and in the source code that you list on this page.

The source code gives the XSL file name as tvshow.xsl (singular), while the video gives it as tvshowS.xsl (plural – I uppercased the S for emphasis)

I typed my own versions of the XML and XSL files (giving the style sheet a name of tvshowS.xsl), and wondered why the stylesheet wasn’t kicking in. After, I changed the XSL file name to tvshow.xsl – it worked as it does in the video.

6. ritesh says:

Hi Derek
    Can u do web services tutorial

7. John says:

There are a lot of different choices on the eclipse download page, I am currently taking a XML class at school, was just wondering which one you are using. I am learning a lot from your videos and would like to follow along with the correct eclipse program.

8. Mike says:

I’m a working UI developer and your tutorials are fantastic. Very straight forward and your teaching style fits very well with the way that I learn. Thank you very much for offering these great aids. You’ve made me a lot more marketable.

9. Harun says:

Hi Derek. I’ve been following your java tutorials and I’ve gained a lot from them. Thank you very much. If you wont mind, can you prepare some tutorials on JavaFX? That would be great.