Tutorial Vote

Tutorial VoteI’ve decided that my next tutorial series will be really big and will answer many of the questions I receive. The only problem is that most people either want to see an Android / Games Tutorial, or a J2EE / Application Development Framework Tutorial?

I can’t do both because they will each take at least 6 months each, so I leave it to you to decide which tutorial series I will do first. Vote for your favorite tutorial below and which ever one gets the most votes wins.

Tutorial Vote

Note on The Tutorial Winner

The tutorial that won, won by over 411 votes! So, for the nest year, I will cover the following topics. May of which I have already started.

Special Note

While one or the other of the above tutorials will make up the majority of my videos, I still need tutorial requests that will break up the monotony.

So, please leave your request below on topics that you’d like covered. If at all possible please leave requests that can be answered in 1 or 2 videos.

Thank you for helping me, better help all of you πŸ™‚

184 Responses to “Tutorial Vote”

1. Arturs says:

I got goose bumps when I saw all the things we will learn if the vote wins on the Android side. Which it probobly will. People are more interested to creating stuff first before they learn about networking because what is the point if u cant do anything but know networking right?

You might be surprised by how many people pick J2EE. I expect votes for that topic to jump very soon. We’ll see what happens?

• appsheriff says:

I’m gonna cry because of happiness if you start teaching J2EE…. Please ignore the votes and start teaching…. I understand you better than almost all the other teachers in youtube/college.

I’ll see if I can mix some J2EE tutorials in. It’s going to be tough because I’m covering very big topics now that most people don’t approach. Either way J2EE will be covered and much more. Java tutorials won’t end until I feel I’ve completely covered the topic

• Borko says:

The vote is for tutorials for games or business applications. I personally like JEE because: first for desktop game creation you fisrt have to learn C for a quality game. Android is good but there are many Android tutorials, but not so much JEE consistent tutorials. And in the past java tutorials you learned how to do stuff, now with JEE you can learn to do much bigger stuff.

And i hope JEE wins

I promise that if Games/Android wins I won’t make boring games. I’ll cover everything including all of the math required. They will be high level tutorials that will challenge you instead of talking down to you. I feel my community, while small is intelligent enough to be able to grasp high level topics. Most tutorials that others make are aimed at the majority of people and that is why they don’t aim to do big things.

I plan on covering C definitely, because Java 2D / 3D is too slow for anything except a platformer. To cover OpenGL everyone will have to have a grasp on pretty high level mathematics and I’ll cover that as well. Another thing that I think that is missing in most game tutorials is a focus on graphics. I’ll cover how to draw as well. All of this will happen if Games and Android wins.

I’d prefer to have the games tutorial get picked because it will be a challenge for me to make it. If J2EE is picked though I can easily cover that topic with little thought. So, either way I’ll be happy with what you guys pick. Also which ever project comes in second will follow the first

• David Morris says:

Oooh. Its close, but I’m more in need of someone to explain what the heck is up with Spring and Tomcat. Even if the other one looks more fun.

So I’m voting for J2EE.

~David Morris~

2. Arturs says:

Also if the final choice is ‘Android’ and when you show us 3D game programming oyu might as well teach us 3D sound eh?

3. Kay Castillo says:

Derek, again thank you for these great tutorials. I’ve learned a lot, even though Java is not my programming language. Since I already have a .NET language with VB.NET, I’m thinking I would want to take on Java instead of C#, so watching you program in Java does help on that side, too. Looking forward to the Refactoring videos which will answer the questions of when to use which design patterns. Some are very similar, and maybe it doesn’t make a huge difference which one is implemented, but I like to understand. Thanks again. Kay

Thank you πŸ™‚ C# is extremely similar to Java so if you understand either they are easy to move between. Refactoring will follow UML 2.0. Don’t worry, I plan on getting through it very quickly

4. Arturs says:

I’d like you to cover if the final choice is ‘Android’:

3D Sound
    3D’s Max or if you can’t get that then it’s fine with Blender with C++ instead with C but it wouldn’t matter much
    Using math to draw circles and other cool shapes. and maybe at the end we make a badass FPS with nice 3d models and etc that were made in blender…

I’m so excited.

All of the above are planned except for 3D Studio. I’m trying to either use free or inexpensive tools. All of the math will be covered. I hope you get your wish for the Game tutorial. Thanks for voting πŸ™‚

5. Aaron says:

Thank you for all of the wealth of knowledge you have shared with us for “FREE”. You have helped me to understand a lot of the college classes I have been taking and have given me the ability to advance them as well. Looking forward to either of the topics… either way we win if you are teaching them!!!

Keep up the good work and if I can help in any way please let me know.

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ If the games tutorial is picked it will be quite a challenge. I don’t want it to be a silly tutorial like the rest I’ve seen online. I guess I’ll see how many people want to learn all of the math required to make proper games. Then I have to teach all of you guys how to draw the sprites for the games! It should be interesting

6. John says:

My tutorial request that will break up the monotony would be to go over CRUD in PHP, maybe a simple adderss book

7. Dick Stokkel says:

How on earth can you know so much about so much topics…..

I like to see tuts on PHP OOP design paterns, symfony2, Yii, Zend Framework, jQuery and CSS frameworks.

I’ve basically only been programming and drawing for my whole life. I’m not particularly knowledgable about much else. I have already covered Jquery Tutorial and CSS Tutorial. I want to improve them and will when I get into web applications.

You are right that my PHP Tutorial needs improvements. I’ll cover that and all of the frameworks as soon as possible. I’ll probably have to recreate the whole PHP tutorial from scratch. Thank you for the requests πŸ™‚ They have been added to the list

8. Arturs says:

Derek, your one of the coolest people I know. You help us all and you don’t care for hate. I hardly think there even is hate on your channel but you’re just amazing to share your skills.

Thank you πŸ™‚ I’m pretty odd in real life. I’m actually very lucky to have such a nice community. It is small, but as you said I rarely have to deal with trolls. Even when I get them I do my best to laugh off the comments that normally are funny. Thank you for stopping by and always feel free to ask questions and make requests

9. mr.m says:

Do a series on html frontend frameworks such as angularjs, backbone, sass, compass, etc. Latest productivity tools would be nice. More wordpress plugin stuff if you have not already covered everything. Thanks for the best tuts on the web. I can tell how much time, effort and compassion you put into each one.

I definitely plan to cover web applications using the technologies you mentioned. I think I did pretty much everything I could with wordpress aside from improving upon it in the way you mentioned.There are so many things I have planned to cover and I’m glad you enjoy the videos. This is a day by day operation run only by myself, so if I make a video you see it minutes later. I’ll do my best to improve production. Thanks for the kind words πŸ™‚

10. Konstantinos says:

This is more crucial than any presidential vote! I hope people think where technology is heading and vote for Android πŸ˜‰

That’s funny πŸ™‚ You wouldn’t believe how many negative comments I’ve received about how I’m making fun of the US government vote? Thanks for making me laugh

• Konstantinos says:

I am also making fun of the Greek government elections because the people that vote for the evil corrupt politicians are the same ones that feel the austerity measures the hardest…but their mindset remains the same nevertheless…..now if that’s not laughable, i don’t know what is.

I used to be into politics, but after a while I realized that thinking about it always made me mad. No matter who wins, unless you know somebody in political office you are never heard.

I do my best to not tie my wallet to anything the government does now. The people are to easily influenced by political marketing to try to fight it

11. Niculas Sergiu says:

What about c++ ? I think that would complement Java very well.

I’m definitely going to cover c if I want games that aren’t nasty looking. If the games / android tutorial wins you’ll definitely get that covered. From c c++ isn’t that big of a leap since most of the hard oop stuff has been covered in detail in the java tutorials. Thanks for the request πŸ™‚

12. senecatrust says:

How about a tutorial on RESTful services or API’s? Thanks again for your dedication to teaching.

That will be covered as part of the J2EE tutorial. Even if J2EE doesn’t win it will be the next tutorial. This is just a vote on which tutorial comes next.

• Saleh says:

This is the best comment from you Derek.
        If you will be able (I hope will be) to cover the loser candidate later, then it is not necessary for me to vote.

Anyway THANK YOU Derek for all these efforts, it is priceless at least for me.

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ Yes, I’m just holding a vote on which tutorial is next. The second place winner will start after the winner. Thanks for watching and the kind words

13. Brian says:

If you go the Android game programming route then it would be cool if you could include some AI programming. I plan to do some game programming in Android once the OUYA console comes out so it would be very cool if that wins. Thanks a bunch for your videos, they have been very helpful.

I promise if I do a games / Android tutorial that I will cover everything. I don’t know if anyone is really ready for this type of tutorial though? I’ll cover game design / drawing, all the math needed and everything else I can imagine. It is expected to last for at least 6 and more than likely 8 months. I’ll find out how many people will stick around for the entire ride?

14. Anonymous says:

hi Derek,
    When you doing next tutorial can you use NetBeans as IDE?
    there are some differences between both IDEs as well, anyway in our class’ lectures always use it as the IDE. Then it will be
    helpful for us to learn new features in NetBeans effectively

15. Damith says:

hi Derek,
    When you doing next tutorial can you use NetBeans as IDE?
    helpful for us to learn new features in NetBeans effectively

I’ll see what i can do. The reason I haven’t used NetBeans is because I plan on covering c if I make games. I’m also used to Eclipse for developing Android apps. If the J2EE tutorial wins the vote though I’ll definitely use NetBeans. As well when I design gui interfaces in the future it will be used along with any tutorials on JavaFX. Thank you for the feedback πŸ™‚

• dj says:

Just found your tutorials. Your voice was made for videos πŸ™‚ Nice quality. Nice pace. I can’t wait to seriously try a few. I’m going to start with Java. I’m particularly interested in JDBC and JavaFX, not so much Swing. Are the “Design Pattern” videos part of the Java series? I see video 92 is Eclipse. Maybe video 93 could be Netbeans? Definitely glad to see the code used in the videos is available. Sometimes it’s difficult to see/follow along in a video, and more importantly you learn and retain way more if you can try it yourself. Perhaps including a link to any particular worthy books would be a nice addition.

I’m glad you are giving my videos a chance. My face was sadly not made for video πŸ™‚ I have many of my java video tutorials here. Pretty much everything I’m doing on dsign patterns, refactoring, object oriented design, etc. is a continuation of the java tutorials. I’ve covered databases in depth, but I’m going to cover game and tablet development next over web development which many seem to have covered already.

Feel free to ask any questions that come up

16. Sno says:

Either way I know it’ll be another great series. just wanted to say thanks again for the awesome job you do for all of us

17. Aaron says:

Thanks Derek. Looking forward to this. My psychology exams are near but I can’t wait till the holidays so I can get back to your videos. You’re awesome πŸ™‚

18. anon says:

I would love to see some code audit tactics security, portability, performance, and others if there is an audit term that is particularly interesting. Metrics on project completion. support after shipment, community involvement via add-on modifications or within features of the project. Finally how to make high level decisions based on these datasets.

19. Arturs says:

Hi, I think we should rather learn C++ than C, I know they are very similar but I think it’s best if you teach us C++ rather than C because pretty much almost all games are made with C++.
    Call Of Duty
    Need For Speed
    Battlefield 3

Hi, To design games let’s aim at making a platformer like Mario before we try to make Call of Duty. Call of Duty was made by hundreds of people with a ton of experience. I have to first teach you how to make more basic games. C works best in my opinion because I want to make Android games and Android uses Java.

I’m not going to be done with the game tutorial for some time. It will take me months to teach all of the topics required to make a really great game.

• Arturs says:

I understand that Call of Duty was made by hundreds of people but I was just wondering. πŸ™‚

Don’t worry by the end of the tutorial you’ll understand 3D on a pretty deep level. The first part of this tutorial will be on Java 2D / 3D. I’ll then need the C to make it fast. There isn’t that much difference between c and c++ if you take out all of the oop. If you understand c and Java you’ll easily grasp c++

• Arturs says:

Quick question are almost all 2D games made using the Java Canvas also I’m looking forward to you teaching us how to make very good Game Loops

20. Jarom says:

Derek, your tutorials are amazing. I’ve seen many of your Java ones and they helped fill gaps in my Java programming better than anything else I’ve done (I’ve been teaching myself Java for the last 5 or so months). I love how they are edited to go through the content efficiently and how you are concise in your explanations. The only issue I had was it was a bit difficult to navigate your site and find the video I was up to!

You’re awesome, keep it up! I really want to see what you can do with the Android/Games tutorials.

21. Sbo says:

Im routing for J2EE but mainly because of the networking part,however i will enjoy gaming if gaming does eventually win.

I’ll cover J2EE after the games / android tutorial. I’m not giving up on it, I just needed to decide on which to cover next. Thank you very much for the requests

22. Arturs says:

Hey could you please make C tutorials instead of C++? I think most people want it even though C is faster. C++ is more commonly used. They are similar but people want C++ tutorials.

I’ll get into c++ eventually. I’m going to make a Game / Android tutorial because that is what it seems like everyone wants. Because the ultimate focus will be on making Android apps I need to use Java. To increase the speed of a Java app you have to use c. There wouldn’t be any benefit in using c++. I hope that makes sense?

• Borko says:

So there will be no complex game creating with good engine and advanced math?

It will get as advanced as possible. I’m starting simple, but by the end I’ll cover everything. All of the math needed and many topics not covered in any video tutorial ever. The one thing you don’t have to worry about is that I’ll make a dumbed down tutorial. I’ll challenge people beyond anything they’ll even want to think about learning πŸ™‚

• Arturs says:

Derek I think in the future in your tutorials at the end of a tutorial you should give a viewers a challenge. It will make things more fun.

Thank you for the request πŸ™‚ I do that on occasion, but it didn’t seem to catch on. At the end of my Interpreter design pattern tutorial I told people to turn it into a text based game, which I thought would be easy. I definitely need to include testing on this site. I’m working to do that soon.

23. Anonymous says:

Can you please make a tutorial on how to develop a programming language with XText?

24. appsheriff says:

Looks like I have to 6 months for you to start with J2EE Tuts. In the mean time, is there any verified source where I can learn JAX-RS & JAX-WS. I see them show up in Job Sites and I have clue on how to use it in a J2EE application.

I’ll see what I can do. I have no idea what other people do because I don’t watch other tutorials because I don’t want to be influenced. I know the NewBoston is the king of YouTube tutorials. I’m very small in comparison.

25. Ron says:

I have just found your videos on youtube. I have been watching the Design Pattern video playlists and I think either android or J2EE would be awesome. So far all the videos that you have done have been brilliant and I am just happy to have found someone who can explain things like you do. Awesome job!

26. You are an amazing dude! I have nothing but admiration for someone who knows so much and works so hard to share the knowledge. A world filled with people like you can’t be in strife.

Your videos are not just informative but they’re so well made! Are you a one man operation or do you have a team??

Thank you so much for the kind words πŸ™‚ I’m very happy to be able to provide high level tutorials for people. It is very fun for me and I love talking to you all. I’ll do my best to keep making them as fast as possible. Thank you for watching

27. Miko says:

I was just wondering are you will cover how to make a game in android or you will cover everything in android included making games coz all comments that i see talking about making android games

and something else man when android tutorials will begin ? πŸ˜€ thank you really

I’m going to cover making desktop Java apps and OpenGL. I then will move into making real games and apps for Android. It will be unlike the normal garbage apps people make. I’ll make professional apps. I’ll cover everything including the math. I’ll start that tutorial after I finish my OO tutorials. After the OO tutorials everything else will be easy. They should start near the end of december / beginning of January

• Sno says:

You’re the man Derek. Really excited to see what you have in store. Will u use any libraries like lwjgl and or slick2d?

Thank you πŸ™‚ it is going to be fun and I’ll definitely cover lwjgl and slick2d after I cover OpenGL and how you can use Java with C for speed. It won’t be the normal game tutorial. I’ll cover everything. I hope to recreate classic games over the years that changed everything. It would be fun to cover everything from Zork to Mario, Sim City, Black & White to Minecraft!

28. Ron says:

Greetings, I was wondering if you had any future plans to do any videos going over IIS and ASP.NET?

Sorry, but I don’t have a PC so I can’t do tutorials on .NET. Things could change, but for now I’m focusing on Java for a while because that is the language I’m very good at

29. JS says:

Hey Derek, greetings from a fan.

For the (not so distant) future: Node.js for web and device web apps.

For now, Adroid games FTW!

Thank you and I’ll definitely cover Node.js. The Android / Games tutorial is in the works and will start at the end of December / beginning of January. I just want to finish teaching how to write good code first. I’m glad you are looking forward to it. It will be unlike anything you have ever seen I can promise you that πŸ™‚

30. Hi Derek!

When I was preparing to start my own small company last year I was forced to think extremely low budget. Fortunately my impulsive plan to save money by building my own website turned out to actually be quite do-able. But only because of your tutorials! I just watched the ones on your site (and those on thenewboston which also contain some very nice ones) and since than I’ve built almost three websites already, and I’m advancing a lot in the process!
    Anyhow, for several weeks now I have had this issue with my phone that I suspect you could probably solve in about half an hour or so. I’ve got a really nice but somewhat rare type of cellphone, an Acer Stream, and it runs on Android. The problem nowdays with about 30% of the phones running on Android is that the system version doesn’t get updated automatically. Because of this I’m still stuck with Android Eclaire (2.1) while others are laughing and pointing at me and showing off their Android Jellybean (4.2) features…
    Well obviously I have googled myself sick to find out if, and how, it might be possible to update manually?? However I couldn’t find a clear comprehensible answer anywhere on the web. It seems there’s this thing called flashing your cellphone, and it might be possible to use that to force your phone to upgrade, but I still have no clue whatsoever as to how that’s done. Could you perhaps make a videotutorial about this subject or point me in the right direction?
    Thank you in advance. Kind regards,

Hi David

I’m very happy that my tutorials have helped you πŸ™‚ I however have no idea how to update the Acer Stream. I looked everywhere I could think to look but I didn’t have any luck. Sorry about that.

I wish you the best

• Thank you Derek, for your efforts! My reply was a bit ehr… delayed you may notice, but I wasn’t aware that you responded, sorry! As it happens I never solved the problem with my old cellphone, but I’ve gotten a new one and now I’m the one who’s laughing and pointing at misfortunate ancient cellular device owners (No, I’m joking, I’m to modest for that. But I could if I would…)
        Take care!

31. Brandon Jenniges says:

Hey Derek,

Possible suggestion, maybe to cover using something like PhoneGap to help combine knowledge of Android stuff and the different web development tutorials you made.

Absolutely can’t wait for this series to start, you truly have a gift in your teaching abilities.

Thank you for the idea. I will eventually cover the tools that are out there to help you make apps. I’m definitely covering Unity for example. I’m technically covering it right now with the tutorials on object oriented design. When I start making games I’ll make good ones and I’ll have to use good coding standards and math to do so. I’ll start making Java desktop games and then jump into Android once the ground work has been done. It will be very fun for me

32. salah says:

A Hello from Algeria.

There are a lot of tutorials and books covering android development, but there is very few ones covering the Java EE. We hope so to get a nice tutorial from you for this less covered technology and difficult to catch for a beginner enterprise application developer.
    You have done a very awesome tutorials on UML, OOP, JAVA, DESIGN PATTERNS , CSS/JS/HTML/XML . So a Java EE tutorial will be the “Put in all together” in an enterprise application project case study.

I will definitely cover JEE. I have BIG plans for this year. I want to finish completely covering Java. I also want to create a great game development tutorial unlike anything out there currently. I see great value in teaching game development because I feel it will help people have fun learning about programming. JEE will definitely come out as well

33. Marko says:

Hi Derek, do we need good background in programming before we start watching tuts for android games? Its sounds too complicated.

That really depends. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to teach how to create great software. There is a big difference between software that is professional grade and what is taught in 95% of tutorials that are out there right now. I also decided to cover topics like refactoring and OOD because you guys requested it.

I will teach Android in both a simple way and then graduate towards writing great code. I’ll do my best to make the process enjoyable and understandable

34. Odin says:

Hey Derek,

I have to say I’m very impressed with your videos so far and have recommended them to many of my friends since. One big thing I want to learn is how to write code for the Java Spring Framework as well as Spring MVC. Google Webtool Kit (GWT) is also on my list. Dependency injection seem to be the hip way of doing things now and I hear it would be making it’s way into PHP v6 . It would be something great to cover if you haven’t done so already. Although you have demonstrated it many times when you programed to interfaces I don’t know if you have ever pointed it out as that yet.

Lastly the only fundamental concept I haven’t seen covered in your videos yet is unit testing. I haven’t watched all of them as yet though. It would be great if you did an entire series on unit testing for Java and PHP using Junit and PHPUnit. I’ve also found a simpler testing suite called SimpleTest for unit testing PHP. See link here:

It has less capabilities than PHPUnit but for smaller projects it works just fine. It has almost the same API as PHPUnit plus it can also test the UI of a website which I thought was cool.

Unit testing would be a nice series to round off all the others you have done so far on the fundamentals of software design.

One quick question. Where do you turn to learn all these things about Java? I’ve been trying to find some good resources for this other than reading books! Like most people here I like watching videos. Most video tutorials only cover the basics of the Java language and good videos on Spring and GWT are almost non-existent.

I’m looking forward to what you come up with next!
    Congratulations on a great site. πŸ™‚

Thank you very much for the kind words πŸ™‚ I will definitely cover Spring very soon because it has been requested many times. I also plan on covering unit testing very soon because it applies to what I’m working on right now.

Everything I write about comes from books. I’m afraid of watching other video tutorials because I don’t want to be influenced by them. Lately I have been receiving requests from university students to explain complicated books. You guys control what I do here.

Once I’m done with Java I will make a PHP tutorial that is as robust as my Java tutorials have become. Thank you for stopping by my little site πŸ™‚

35. MichaΕ‚ Z. says:

My proposition on short tutorial is – using Github tutorial or using generally about CVS but personally I would like to watch about Github πŸ™‚ Keep up good work!

36. waqas says:

hey derek …… plzzz go with ANDROID. I really want to learn and u r the best teacher in the planet so do android series as soon as possible plz. πŸ™‚

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ Yes I’m definitely covering games and Android. It will be a very long tutorial because I want to make numerous types of games and really get deep into the topic. It will take about 6 months and will include math, drawing, C, etc. EVERYTHING! Thank you for the nice comment

37. Vilius says:

Man I love your work so I just can’t wait next part of this I know it will be most awesome tutorial series ever. Can you give me a quick trailer how can all of these following topics help me in actual game development? πŸ˜€

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ As you’ll soon see it is very easy to be overwhelmed when you create a big project like a game. The OOD tutorial will allow you to create a plan of action that you can follow and check off piece by piece. The design pattern, refactoring tutorials will make your code much easier to understand. Without those 2 things I know I could never write complicated code and keep everything straight. I hope that helps

38. Parag says:

I like your videos and these are amazing.
    Could you please set category of these videos as “Education” on YouTube. That would help us accessing YouTube videos with Education filter is ON.

Thank you πŸ™‚ I always put them in education now, but in the past YouTube used to do all kinds of strange things category wise. I’ll go back and put them all in education. Thanks for telling me that

39. Leonard H Martin says:

Hey Derek,

I have a couple of ideas for short tutorials – mostly based on my lack of understanding of the topics!

First is UI design patterns, like MVP, in Swing. From what I’ve read about those types of patterns they seem like a really good idea, but I can’t find any good tutorials about implementing them.

Second is Unit Testing – I’ve done a fair bit of trial and error learning of Unit Testing, but I’m not sure I’m doing it right. It seems like this would be a good fit for your series on design patterns and refactoring.

40. Neil H. says:

Derek, I just wanted to drop in to say Thankyou so much for all these videos. I gave up my accountancy job nearly a year ago to change what was then my hobby of programming into a career. These videos have been invaluable (more so than a course at Dundee university). I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of effort it takes to produce these, but I guess you must enjoy it, for which I am very grateful. I have to say I look forward to your “well, hello internet”, it makes learning fun. Long may you continue to enjoy it so that I may reap the benefits. And look for me snapping at your heels as I become a more proficient programmer because of these series.

Cheers, Neil

Neil, thank you for taking the time to tell me how much the tutorials have helped πŸ™‚ The only way we find happiness is if we never give up looking for it. I know that was true for me.

Always feel free to ask questions. I’ll do my best to help

41. aperson says:

you are a great person doing great work, you deserve some kind of award for all your hardwork, Can you please do some tutorials on Investing, stocks, equity and venture capital. please..

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ I appreciate that! I’ll get into investing again. I can’t do it right now because I have a conflict with a current real world program I’m working on. As soon as it is finished you can expect to see more

42. Eranga says:

hey Derek you are awsome … πŸ™‚
    Thank you very much for your video tutorials.I learned many this.
    It is better if you can create a advanced java GUI video tutorial series.

43. max says:

Derek, Don’t know how you do it – but your approach, communications and finished product is *** AMAZING ***!

Thank you and best to you.

44. ZHG says:

HI, may I ask if you plan to make any video tutorial on C++ later ??

45. Sbo says:

Hi Derek

I know you busy with andriod tutorials and i think the tuts are great learning a lot of stuff, however i current working on java httpclient im failing to manage user sessions between my server’s client(where httpclient is running) and the remote server’s session management.

In some cases my session timesout before the remote server session times out therefore the remote server disallows multi session of the same user from the same IP. and in some cases the remote server’s session timesout before mine. how do i work around since there is no way of telling how long does the remote server session lasts

additional info: the application is built on AngularJS therefore there is less server interaction.

46. Saleem says:

All your tutorials are awesome, and makes me more professional in my domain, really I don’t know how to thank you & actually I missed to vote, may be I vote for J2EE its oki now, but will you please share some video tutorials about “Web Service” please.

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ I’m going to try and fit web services into this Android tutorial because they are so useful. I’ll be covering J2EE as soon as possible

47. Hey Derek

Can you talk a little about using other people’s code (in general), as opposed to starting a new project from scratch? In particular: how do you familiarize yourself with an existing application (or framework) when there is already a humongous code base that you need to gain a solid understanding of before you can do any real sort of work?

I believe this could be an interesting topic. Most of the job offers I come across are about maintaining existing code or converting legacy code.

Besides, you haven’t posted anything under “Random Videos” in a while.

In my opinion there is no such thing a original code. Languages aren’t all that complicated. Yes you spend a ton of time maintaining hopefully well commented code in the corporate world.

I being a consultant that works with small / medium sized corporations have to produce very quickly. I also have to write heavily commented code. Often other people maintain it after I’m done and I never see it again. Writing maintainable code without copying from others is just about impossible. At this point I mainly copy from code I wrote in the past, but most of that was copied in one way or another from others. I hope that answers your questions

• Seems like the keyword is ‘documentation’. But when the documentation doesn’t exist, I find it very hard to tell what a program does just by looking at the code. All I really know how to do is run the program through the debugger over and over until I understand how it works. Makes me feel like there has to be a better, more organized approach.

48. Sean says:

Personally, I can’t wait for the C tutorials! And later on, C++. Been getting my feet wet with CS50x and I am looking forward to Derek’s teaching style applied to the subject.

49. Kyle Nick says:

Have you ever thought about doing a combined python and C tutorial?

Or a C++ tutorial?

Great stuff!

50. Adam says:

Hi Derek

Can you show us how to make a mobile friendly website?

Thank you for all the great tutorials

51. Cris tan says:

Are you still going to do the video for J2EE and if yes, May I know when will you start ? Thanks .
    Your video has inspired me a lots. Thank you so much.

Thank you πŸ™‚ I will cover J2EE eventually, but I want to finish with C first. The Android tutorials will continue for the next few months. All I can say is that J2EE will start when C ends which will be pretty soon.

52. Scott Smith says:

Love your Android Video Tutorials!
    I found your site while I was trying to find some code to solve a specific problem. I want to be able to show a particular video in an app and I need to be able to know when it is finished automatically. Actually several short videos in the middle of a timing sequence. Have you considered any tutorials using mediaplayer? Do you take on special projects?

53. Eyal says:

54. MAR0 says:

great explanation :)I spend so much time in searching for understaning different UML diagrams that are offered in Rational rose and here you explaned in a such an amazing way!!! I m seriously uery thank ful!!!

God bless u Derek!!

55. reyden says:

java EE please.

56. Mohd Ali says:

waiting for open GL too..:smile

57. rebert says:

Dear Derek

I love your videos, really helped me with patterns. I’m glad to see your channel growing in quality and variety.

I’d like to request for vids on SCM, Maven in particular; That sort of stuff seems pretty important but cant fully understand it; I’m below average at GIT and while i’m ok at programming and such, i cant wrap my head around teamwork and SCM.

58. adinkrahene says:

This may not be the place for this comment,but it’s the only way I see to tell you this. This is my first visit your site, which I found from a you-tube video. I just like to express my gratitude and thanks you all the work that I see you have put in here. I have not used any of the tutorials yet! But I intent to I have my eye on one now ;}.

Thanks again!

“Picking a tutorial is like a hark taking a bird in flight,
    even though he enter into the mist of a thousand of them
    he pays no attention to any except to the tutorial he has first marked!”

59. Ramkrishna says:

I really like your tutorials. I reallylearnt a lot. It would really help me if you did tutorials on matlab,arduino, microcontrolers, etc..

60. Charles says:

Im down with whatever you want to teach us Mr Banas,

however could you shed some light on byte code instrumentation (java)?

61. Daniel says:

I would love to see something about the new Java 8 features like lambdas and such. I think these could be dealt with in maybe two or three videos.

Also the Java EE tutorial is still highly anticipated πŸ™‚

Sorry about the enterprise Java tutorial. I just made a decision to not cover it until I could devote all of my time to doing it right. I’m trying to cover topics I have missed like Git, JUnit and Maven now. I’ll do my best to fit in other things I’ve missed with Java.

62. Mike says:

How about a one or two videos on SASS or LESS css preprocessor tutorial?

63. isaac says:

i just adore the way you do your stuff in here and you have given me hope to continue being a programmer.
    Thanks a lot and God bless you.

I love your python, java, wordpress tutorials

Please i want you to do tutorials on Django pleasssssss!

64. Sandeep says:

Hi Derek! Could you do some tutorials on Ruby on Rails ?

65. Ruben R. says:

I’m an active follower of your website. It’s the best and I love your videos.
    I’m getting a job working with J2EE technologies (glassfish, jsp, ejbs, hibernate etc) and I’m still a bit lost with all these new (for me) stuff. I have a fair knowledge about Java SE but I need to learn more enterprise stuff.
    All this to ask you: Are you still planning to do the J2EE tutorials?

Thanks in advance!

66. Ashwin says:

Please cover unity, blender and all the aspects of making games…

I find all your tutorials really useful!

Thank you Derek!