UML 2.0 Activity Diagrams

UML 2.0 Activity DiagramsWelcome to my tutorial on UML 2.0 Activity Diagrams! In this tutorial, I’ll show you all of the symbols used to create activity diagrams.

Activity diagrams show what actions occur step-by-step to achieve a given goal. Activity symbols are very similar to flowchart notation, so you should find this topic very easy to learn.

After the video, I have the entire image I taught from. I think it will be a great cheat sheet. The program I use is available here UMLet. It is free and works on all OSs.

If you like tutorials like this, it helps to tell Google with a click

Share if you have any friends that may be interested

UML Activity Diagrams

13 Responses to “UML 2.0 Activity Diagrams”

1. Marzio says:

Well done man… well done.

2. Anas says:

hello, thanks so much for this great tutorial it was very useful for me as a beginner in developing web apps and mobile apps, i just wanted to know the software you’re using to create these UML diagrams, and if it’s free or not ?
    thanks again
    Cheers from Morocco

3. MARIYA says:

are state and activity diagrams are the same?? and, collaboration and component diagrams are same as well? just curious. please let me know!!

Thanks so much!
    Mariya

Hi Mariya,

It may help to see a description of all the diagrams in one place. I have that here UML Video Tutorial

Here is a brief description of both:

UML Activity Diagrams : Activity diagrams show what actions occur step-by-step to achieve a given goal.

UML State Machine Diagrams : State machine diagrams model the changing states of objects and the events that cause these state changes.

UML Component Diagrams : Component diagrams are used to show how components are used to create software systems.

UML Collaboration Diagrams : Collaboration diagrams show instances or roles of components.

I hope that helps :)

4. Pulkit Gupta says:

Can you please help me with the difference between use case Diagram and use case specification

Thanks so much!
    Pulkit

Hi Pulkit,

A specification is basically just a written list of steps that describe what your system will do.

A use case diagram is a simple drawing that demonstrates roughly what the system does.

I have found the specifications to be very useful, but the diagrams are too simple for me to find them useful. I make very detailed specs and then move on to very detailed sequence diagrams, but others prefer UC diagrams.

I hope that helps :)
      Derek

5. trung says:

I downloaded umlet version 12.2, but I don’t get the connector, output pin, expansion like you have above.

How do i get those?

Thanks,

Trung

6. Jörg Tuttas says:

Great Tutorial,
    i use it in my course at a vocational school in germany !

best regards!

7. Sam says:

Oh, I just found it. The UML file used in this part of the tutorial is called “My Palette” :-)

Cheers,