Install Android Development Tools

Install Android Development ToolsWelcome to my tutorial on how to Install Android Development Tools. I received many requests on how to do this and it is a great topic to cover right before I start my Android Development Tutorial.

I’ll cover how to install Googles ADT plugin, all of the common errors people get and take you through running your first app. Many important things need to be pointed out like the fact that Googles emulators are terribly slow. If you haven’t installed Eclipse yet, definitely checkout my tutorial Install Eclipse for Java first.

If you like videos like this, it helps to tell Google + with a click here

Step-by-Step Way to Install Android Development Tools

Installing the Android SDK on Mac and PC

1. Don't get the Android Developer Tools at http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

2. Install Eclipse for Java - Eclipse IDE for Java Developers - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/indigo/sr2

a. Make sure the path to Eclipse doesn't contain any spaces. If it does then expect errors. Here is mine in Windows C:\Users\Derek\Documents\eclipse-java-indigo-SR2-win32-x86_64\eclipse

3. Eclipse - Help - Install New Software

a. Work with: Click Add
b. Name: Android Developer Tools
c. Location: http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
d. Shows list of plugins - Click Next
e. Accept the license agreement - Next - Finish
f. Restart Eclipse
g. Help - Check for Updates to update the ADT

4. Create a new project - File - New - Project - Android Project Application

a. Application Name: HelloWorld
b. Replace example in Package Name with your web address
c. Define the version of the Android SDK you plan to develop with

5. Setup an Android Virtual Device

a. Windows users will have to open the Android SDK Manager
b. Select the chosen emulator and click start
c. Wait it is terribly slow and it normally crashes the first 3 times

6. If you have trouble executing check in folders res - layout. If you see a file named activity_main.out.xml delete it. Then click Project - Clean in the top menu bar

a. Select HelloWorld in the Package Explorer and then run the emulator
b. You can help solve this error by going : Preferences - Run/Debug - Launching - Launch Operation and then check Always Launch Previously....

105 Responses to “Install Android Development Tools”

1. Lakhs says:

Carnt wait for the Android development tutorials…

hope it will it be a short game App… a Androids Asteroids Game perhaps.

cool let me kno.. cya

2. Israel says:

I’ve been wanting for Android Development tutorials explained by you. Thanks Derek! =)

3. Anonymous says:

I had an error. It says location of the Android SDK has not been set up in the preferences. What do I do?

4. Anonymous says:

or it says cannot find ‘tools’ inside SDK C:\Users\MYACCOUNTNAME\android-sdks

5. Ifiok Jr. says:

I’m looking forward to these tutorials. Will be watching them and hopefully developing Android apps soon!

6. Bacem says:

When i run the hello world application, the emulator runs but then i never get “hello world!” printed on the screen, and the screen shows this text: “charging 50%”.
    What can i do to fix this ?

7. kapil says:

i have already installed ecpilse and android enumlater ,but of old version. So i should remove it or go for upgrade???

8. Sudeepto Dutta says:

Hello Derek,

I wish to learn app development for Android . But I guess I have to learn Java first before jumping straight to Android app development …

Tell me what should I do . I am learning Java from “Head First Java” .

Should I also watch your Java tutorials first ??

Do reply ..

Thaank You.. πŸ™‚

9. Joe says:

Derek, many thanks for the Java, Android tutorial series. I had Eclipse installed previously and it had worked flawlessly. However, after having installed Android Studio recently, the Eclipse stopped working (couldn’t find java). I’d tried to reinstalled Eclipse following your steps, however, now I just got Eclipse flashing for a second, then nothing happened. The 2nd time on, nothing happened.

I also tried to uninstall Android Studio and then reinstalled Eclipse, but still cannot start Eclipse.

Many thanks in advance!

Joe

10. Lahiru says:

Thank you very much for your tutorials. They are great!!

My problem is that my Android Virtual Device (came along with ADT) runs very very slow. It takes about 5 minutes to start, and keeps terribly lagging then.

11. kea says:

I get this message. I am not able to complete the install. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
    Software being installed: Android Native Development Tools 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705 (com.android.ide.eclipse.ndk.feature.group 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705)
    Missing requirement: Android Native Development Tools 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705 (com.android.ide.eclipse.ndk.feature.group 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705) requires ‘org.eclipse.cdt.feature.group 0.0.0’ but it could not be found

12. Bob Hill says:

I followed the instruction and so far the only problem I see is that, the “status” column in Android Device Manager has different icon for “Installed” packages. The check icons in front of the word Inslled are all red instead of usual green. Is this a problem?
    Thanks,

13. marke says:

Hello Derek,

Great tutorials you have. The best I’ve ever seen!

What I’d really like to see as a tutorial is what to do if I already have an .apk file (from an app building site) and all I need to do is preview it on the emulator – what software to download and use just for that purpose.

Thanks!

Hello, Thank you very much πŸ™‚ An APK file can be opened with a zip utility tool and then loaded into the emulator. I hope that helps

• Marke says:

Hello Derek,

Apologies, but I’m totally lost with this.

What software would I need to install (for PC) to get the ** emulator only** up and running. (I don’t need anything but the emulator for screenshots of the app)

And how would I load the unzipped .apk file into the emulator (looks like several files unzipped)?

Thanks!

14. Yingjun says:

why eclipse not Android Studio?

15. laD says:

where can i find the SDK location? on what folder? I installed eclipse indigo and followed your instructions but its looking for an android preferences
    . Pls I need your help.

Try the following
      Window -ο»Ώ Preferences – Android – SDK Location – Locate the folder (Run SDKο»Ώ Manager to find path OR search for a folder named sdk on your computer)
      OR Help -ο»Ώ Checkο»Ώ for Updates
      More things to try stackoverflow. com/questions/6219588/eclipse-Β­Β­Β­Β­will-not-find-adb-exe-or-sdΒ­kΒ­ο»Ώ

16. maha says:

hello sir
    I have problem while launching emulator for AVD MyNexus7.It gives the Error of emulator-arm.exe has stopped work and Failed to allocate memory: 8
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please tell me what should I do.

17. Adija Palmer says:

This is the error i’m getting while trying to install ADT plugin

Software being installed: Android Native Development Tools 22.0.5.v201307292155–757759 (com.android.ide.eclipse.ndk.feature.group 22.0.5.v201307292155–757759)
    Missing requirement: Android Native Development Tools 22.0.5.v201307292155–757759 (com.android.ide.eclipse.ndk.feature.group 22.0.5.v201307292155–757759) requires ‘org.eclipse.cdt.feature.group 0.0.0’ but it could not be found

18. Edwin says:

Hello..Great work with your tutorials..
    One question..
    What do you mean I don’t have to download sdktools from google?
    ADT-plugin doesn’t install.. that’s why everybody can’t find the SDK location..

Thank you πŸ™‚ I prefer to use the plugin like I demonstrated here. The download from Google was hard for a bunch of people to install for some reason, so I looked for the easiest solution

19. Fraser says:

Hey just curious as to what the difference between the version of eclipse is that is bundled with the Android SDK and Eclipse IDE? Cheers πŸ™‚

20. P0pali says:

Thanks for your tutorial!

The link for the plugin download os broken – can you supplay another one insead?

(https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse)

Thanks in advance and keep up!!!

21. Tekk3y says:

Hey, got the bug where I couldn’t finish setting up the Android Virtual Device but when I went into the Android SDK manager the Mips System image isnt stated under Android 4.3 and when selecting an Android version to base the virtual device off that is the only version I am allowed to choose. What should I do?

22. Mohamed says:

Dear Mr. Banas,

Hello from Egypt.

First of all i would like to thank you very much for every thing you publish here in your site … everything is simply useful.

i don’t have too much experience in JAVA, but i’m taking your Java Tutorial these days. do i need to finish the whole Java tutorial before i begin in Android development tutorial?

i really love to be an Android Developer… Any advice ?

Sorry if My English is not so good
    and thank you in advance.

Mohamed S. Ali

23. Mohamed says:

Dear Mr. Banas,

Hello again

what do you think about the (MIT app inventor)?

i’m studying the tutorials and planing to continue.
    for me it’s a lot of fun to know how things works, of course it’s a little difficult for my average mind, but i’m trying to hang in there (:

Hi, I haven’t looked at the course, but I’m sure it is probably very good. I think it is a great idea to watch tutorials and read articles from many different sources. Stick with Android and you’ll get it. It is only complicated in the beginning.

24. Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared across the net. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

25. Victor says:

Thanks for the huge effort you’ve put into making such great Android tutorials. I just can’t get enough of watching them and following along.
    They are definitely the exact kind of thing to get me going with Android app development. I consider your tutorials to be the best thing around in this field, especially when it comes to getting started from nothing.

Thanks again,
    Victor

Hi Victor,

Thank you for the nice compliments. I’m working harder then ever to make sure each Android tutorial is good. I structured to to make sure you actually learn how to make apps. You’re very welcome πŸ™‚

26. Dror says:

Hi Derek.
    i did everything the tutorial said but when i restart eclipse to start a new project it says i need something called SDK. i don’t know what that is and you don’t seem to get that message in your video so i was wondering if you could explain what i should do..

thanx for any reply πŸ™‚

Hi,

In Eclipse Click Window – SDK Manager. You’ll find the location of your SDK there.

If that isn’t an option, Eclipse – Help – Install New Software

a. Work with: Click Add
      b. Name: Android Developer Tools
      c. Location: http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
      d. Shows list of plugins – Click Next
      e. Accept the license agreement – Next – Finish
      f. Restart Eclipse
      g. Help – Check for Updates to update the ADT

Tell me if that doesn’t work

27. safo says:

Hey Derek , thank u for all this great tutorial , really appreciate your amazing effort , i wanna be a professional in the android Development where i must start? is java and xml necessary and if yes for any level ?
    thank you again , keep it up . peace

28. Ithihas says:

Is it same for linux?

29. Marzio says:

Another fine tutorial. My compliments. I am looking to develop iOS applications on a Linux platform. If this capability becomes available, I would apprecite tutorials on that subject matter. Thanks for the great tutorials Derek.

30. nishant says:

hello admin i got error while starting up the emulator
    Failed to allocate memory: 8
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
    ????

31. Peter says:

I followed the steps and got the emulator to run, but I don’t see the Hello World display. When I unlock the screen it just takes me to the Android main screen where I can scroll around.

I’m thinking it might be the package name I used when creating the project. I didn’t have a web address so I also just used com.newthinktank.helloworld. Would that affect it?

32. Yair says:

Thanks a lot for your tutorials.

You recommend to use Eclipse Indigo, what about the new versions of Eclipse like Kepler ?

I try to use it but there is a lot of troubles when installing the SDK

Thanks

Yair

33. Ivan says:

I installed Eclipse and plugin successfully. But when I open Eclipse it displays message “Could not find SDK folder”. Do I need to install SDK anyway? Thanks

34. dsdsds says:

hello derek

i have problem with the emulator when i try to open
    the emulator it says Failed to install kkkokkojjj.apk on device ’emulator-5556! do you know how to fix it?

35. Shawn says:

Sir in my layout folder I’m now seeing an activity_main.xml file along with a “fragment_main.xml”
    This is the code im seeing for both:
    activity_main.xml:

fragment_main.xml–>

#Also each time I create a new project, I get “appcompat_v7, appcompat_v7_3…etc” each time i create a new project. whats the reason for all of that? Thanks in advanced!ο»Ώ

36. Minas Kamel says:

Can I use eclipse juno or kepler, or i have to use indigo for your tutorial?

37. Yusuf says:

I already have eclipse Kepler on my computer. Is there specific reason to use indigo or shall I continue using Kepler. Not sure what all these version mean.
    Thanks
    Yusuf

38. Yusuf says:

Derek,
    You can ignore both my earlier questions. I think I solved the problem after I downloaded and unpacked the SDK from the developer website. Thanks.

39. aimrr says:

hi there!
    when i open up activity_main (or anything else)
    in the description i get 14 errors, and “Loading data for Android L (preview) has encountered a problem”. Parsing data for android-L failed”

Do you no why this is happening?

thanks!

40. Rosemale-John II Villacorta says:

Do you have a tutorial on how to convert websites to android application.?

41. Israel says:

I really appreciate what you are doing.Your tutorials really are helpful…I thank you so much and keep up the good work.