Solving Android SDK Problems

Solving Android SDK ProblemsIn my last tutorial, I showed you how to install the Android development tools. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to solve many of the Android SDK Problems you have recently sent me.

We’ll look at: How to speed up the emulator. Solve the problem in which the Android SDK Manager could not find packages. Solve the Android SDK parse error problems. Solve the issue in which the emulator doesn’t execute your program. If you have any other problems leave a comment below and I’ll solve them.

If you like articles like this, it helps to tell Google + with a click here

Where is Eclipse Android SDK Manager Located

To locate the Android SDK Manager just open it inside of Eclipse. Click Window – Android SDK Manager. The location on your system is at the top of the screen where it says SDK Path, as you can see here.

Where is Eclipse Android SDK Manager Located

If you couldn’t find it there, then do the following depending on your OS.

• For Windows search for android-sdks. That is the folders name
  • For Macs search for adt-bundle-mac. That folder contains the SDK

Android SDK Manager could not find Packages

This will solve both this problem and the Android SDK Manager Peer Not Authenticated error you are getting. If when you open the Android SDK Manager you see this.

Android SDK Manager Peer Not Authenticated

1. Open the Android SDK Manager in Eclipse

2. Click on Android SDK Manager in the top tool bar

3. Click Preferences and then put a check in the box that says “Force https://… sources to be fetched using http:// like you see here

4. You may have to do this and then click Clear Cache if the problem continues

Android SDK Manager could not find Packages

Android Won’t Execute Program in Emulator

If when you execute your program, if the Android emulator opens, but your app doesn’t execute, execute your program instead by clicking Run Configuration like you see here. Put a tick in the radio button labeled Launch: and then select your program in the drop down. Then click Run.

Android Won't Execute Program in Emulator

Android Won't Execute Program

That should solve that problem.

How to Set Up Android Emulator

Click the Android Virtual Device Manager Icon. It looks like the Android robot in a smart phone. This setup works very quickly for me. My emulator loads in about 30 seconds. You’ll need to properly setup Virtual Machine Acceleration though like I describe next.

How to Set Up Android Emulator

How to Speed up the Android Emulator

If you are NOT running a virtual machine, you can dramatically improve the performance of your Android emulator. Here is how depending on the OS you are using.

Configuring VM Acceleration on Windows

Intel states that this works with the following versions of Windows: Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows Vista (32/64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit only)

1. Start the Android SDK Manager, select Extras and then select Intel x86 Emulator Accelerator (HAXM) and click Install Packages

2. Select the package on the left side of the screen and click the radio button labeled Accept License and then Install.

3. Restart Eclipse

4. Now to use it, execute your program using Run > Run Configuration like I showed above

5. Click the Target tab.

6. Select the x86-based AVD you created previously

Configuring VM Acceleration on Macs

3. Shutdown Eclipse and then get and execute the  Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager (HAXM) release_1.0.4-hotfix found on this page at Intel

4. You can then confirm that it is operating correctly by opening a terminal window and running the following command kextstat | grep intel (You should get a returned message that looks like this : com.intel.kext.intelhaxm

5. Now to use it, execute your program using Run > Run Configuration like I showed above

6. Click the Target tab.

7. Select the x86-based AVD you created previously

How to Execute Android Apps on your Android Phone Tablet

1. Enable USB debugging on your device

a. On devices running Android 3.2 or older, you can find the option under Settings > Applications > Development

b. On Android 4.0 and newer, it’s in Settings > Developer options

c. On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options

2. If you’re developing on Windows, you need to install a USB driver for adb. For an installation guide and links to OEM drivers, see the OEM USB Drivers document.

3. If your on a Mac you don’t need drivers.

4. Now that the device is set up for development, on your Android device click SettingsDeveloper Options – Put a check in the box marked USB Debugging.

5. Click to allow the computer to access and ok for everything else that pops up

6. To execute on your device click Run > Run Configuration like I showed above

7. Click the Target tab

8. Put a tick in the radio button marked Launch on all compatible devices / AVD’s and hit Run

It works INSTANTLY! That is why it is better to develop on an actual device over using an emulator

That’s All Folks

If I missed anything, or I didn’t cover your specific problem leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to help.

82 Responses to “Solving Android SDK Problems”

1. ZHG says:

For the Android development, do you plan to talk about the NDK ??

2. fred says:

thanks a lot for these excellent tutorials

problem running the emulator:

1. I launch the emulator

2. I run he hello.app

I got:

[2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] ——————————
    [2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] Android Launch!
    [2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] adb is running normally.
    [2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] Performing com.newthinktank.helloworld.MainActivity activity launch
    [2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] Automatic Target Mode: Preferred AVD ‘MyEmul4.2.2′ is not available. Launching new emulator.
    [2013-04-25 15:58:48 - HelloWorld] Launching a new emulator with Virtual Device ‘MyEmul4.2.2′

a NEW screen shows: emulator -x86.exec has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working
    correctly…..

[2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] HAX is not working and emulator runs in emulation mode
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] emulator: Failed to open the HAX device!
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] Failed to allocate memory: 8
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator]
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] emulator: Open HAX device failed
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator]
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator]
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    [2013-04-25 16:00:06 - Emulator] Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

As per the internet i did: Try killing the adb by just issueing the command adb kill-server and then adb start-server on your command prompt. It did not work

3. fred says:

i did it and got: HAM can be installed but will not work until VT-x is enable
    sol:
    1.download and run secureable. if hardare virtualization =yes
    go to your bios and enable vt-x
    2. else go to yourPCtechnicalsuport.com ask for a bios that support virtualization
    3. if everything fails use oracleVM

4. Gaston Aguirre says:

I might be wrong, but checking this video, at 05:15 you say to get intel x86 Emulator Accelerator in order to download VM files.
    I believe that this only applies if you have INTEL based processor, please correct me if I’m wrong (I’m trying to be helpful, not to correct you.)

P.S. Thank you so much for what you bring to internet, all your website as well as your videos are in the level of a college course.

Regards.

Yes indeed you are correct. Thank you for pointing that out. Always feel free to correct my mistakes. I’m very happy that you are enjoying the videos :)

5. Lahiru says:

Thank you for your tutorial!!
    When I create an AVD, it doesn’t allow me to select a CPU, the combo box is disabled, and “ARM(armeabi -v7a)” is selected by default. I have installed intel accelerator as described.
    My CPU is intel, 1.6Ghz dual core.

6. Jeff says:

Thought I’d drop these solutions to other problems I’ve run into. Anyone new to android, I suggest copy-pasting this comment to a note somewhere just in case, and definitely bookmark Derek’s page!

Keep in mind, new android developers, that you probably don’t really need to do anything I’ve listed here until you run into issues down the road, unless Derek already listed it somewhere.

I might come back with more – so far with Android I’m fairly cursed =P

(Derek, if this is too big a comment, or something, feel free to move the info somewhere more relevant or put up the info however you want, I’m not here for points.)

=================================================================

IF: Your Logcat doesn’t work AND/OR you are an ATI video card user on Windows:

Set env variables – Test these by building an android project from the command line (Easy to google):

The defaults are something like this, but YOUR PATH MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN MINE

// add a variable: Technically, there are other ways to do this, but whatever..
    ANDROID_HOME = C:\Program Files (x86)\android\android-sdk\tools
    // add this to path so that you can simply change the variable if you need to move/reinstall the SDK:
    // ensure that each part of your path is separated by a semi-colon, and that there are no spaces
    %ANDROID_HOME%

// Likewise for ADB: Look for it in PLATFORM-TOOLS (Google will lie, it used to be in /tools)

ADB_HOME = C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

NOTE:

IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANT, AND HAVE AN ATI VIDEO CARD:

Each time you update your video card drivers, you should check your PATH. When calling Android commands from Ant (And you will), Xcopy is called x10.. This is bad. Your project is being ruined, even though all tasks seem to run correctly. (There is also another reason Xcopy can be called recursively, but I solved that issue without knowing what it was, sorry. I *Think* it was due to Juno leftovers..) This happens because Ant is old, but it’s still awesome and not a tool worth ignoring.

To prevent this from happening, simply ensure that all of the locations defined in your path are not duplicates, and (For performance reasons) that the locations they point to really exist. For an example, my complete path for my development environment contains each of the following. It is possible that some ATI card users will have more than 2 elements for AMD/ATI, but they all have to point to something real!

C:\WINDOWS;
    C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;
    C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;
    %JAVA_HOME%\bin;
    %ANT_HOME%\bin;
    %ANDROID_HOME%;
    %ADB_HOME%

The first three will be on all Windows systems, four and five will be -similar- for all ATI card users, and the rest point to variables you should already know about. I’m actually glad I forgot to check path on latest driver update, so I could add that here..

====================================

Eclipse auto-completed a method for you, then said it doesn’t exist….?

Install the latest/relevant support library..

There’s about 20 ways to fix this, most are listed at StackOverflow here, though Derek might know the ‘best’ way, when the SDK manager can’t handle it.

====================================

You haven’t added the source code yet, and want to read it from inside eclipse? Seriously, don’t google this problem.. evidently the source code wasn’t available through the SDK manager in the past, and people went to great lengths to get it. Nowadays it’s simple:

Adding source docs to eclipse:

1 Run Android SDK Manager
    2 Download Android sources
    3 Right click on project >> Properties >> Libraries -> Android #.#.# -> android.jar -> Source attachment > Click ‘Edit’
    4 Enter the path to the sources (android-sdk-linux/sources/android-##), or choose the path with “External folder” The folder you are looking for is in the SDK path.

Note, it’s not a good idea to use a different version than the lib you’ve already attached (e.g. 4.2.x = 17)

btw, grepcode.com has a decent interface for searching the android code, but goes down sometimes. Don’t rely on it being there, but if you’re away from your developer console and get curious, it’s good to know about.
    ====================================
    Hope anyone with one of these problems finds this!

Thank you Jeff for all the help! It is greatly appreciated :)

• Jeff says:

No problem at all. Sorry about the bad closing tag, I was copy-pasting snippets from my notes there, and it was late. =P

By any chance do you know more about how elements in a path can interfere like I described? For an example, with Ant, if I make two references in my Path to C:\WINDOWS, and then do a Hello world with Ant, it works fine.. but if I do Android Project….. it also works fine, but gives errors as well. I think the errors just create copies of the .prefs, but when I continue with build.xml, whatever those errors were go absolutely nuts.. Like, fill your hard drive in a few minutes with xCopy nuts.

Obviously, ATI needs to fix it’s updater, but I don’t know whether Ant should be able to deal with the situation better as well. That is to say – if I can call xcopy as a normal user, Ant’s xcopy task should be the same as mine, no?

Also, this is my second tutorial I’ve used. I’ve been working on my first app for a little over two months, and making good progress.. but I had to backtrack a ton after I watched your first 4 or 5 videos, because I realized I actually *was* allowed to follow java best practices, I’d been really frustrated with some of the rules other sites taught me – so thanks for that. I’ve been updating my notes along the way, and at some point I’ll have a really tidy template system built up. If you want me to come back when I’m more confident with the bundle, I’d be happy to share those with your viewers as well, if you’ll host them or point to a git page I could make or whatever.

I suggest it because I think your teaching style is absolutely fantastic – you cover a lot of material extremely quickly. A new developer can definitely know which tool they will need to solve a problem after going through your guide. But when referring to your code for a sixth or seventh time, it gets irksome to find what you’re looking for under all the CrazyTipCalc logic, and the StockQuotes, etc.

So, mostly I have stuff set up like a String Tag and Log.d() for each of the lifecycle calls for Services, Activities, etc. Then Snippets for the relations between XML minimum requirements for using something, which can be easily forgotten…

So right now I’m focused on my app, but each time I use the templates I improve on them a bit for that purpose. Let me know if you want them for your viewers, maybe in a month or so..? If you want an example I’ll pastebin some for you.

Thanks again for the great series, Derek!

I will cover many of the idiosyncrasies of ANT soon. It can be a nasty pain!

Yes, if you are willing to post your thoughts as an Android developer feel free to do so. If you want to publicize your blog I am all for that.

Sorry that I haven’t been able to answer questions here quicker. I have been mobile lately all of the time and i have no easy way to answer questions. I will be back home again regularly now so I’ll be more diligent.

You gave me a bunch of ideas for future videos :) Thank you

7. John Smith says:

Hi, Derek i recently downloded all the software to develope android applications.Suddenly when i open eclipse i get android development tools, and an error appears in the prefernces box that read could not find folder tools inside sdk C:Documents and settings/John Smith JR/android – sdks. I tried downloding the adt plugin but its already downloded and installed. I looked around did some research i maye have a old version of the adt i dont know for sure but it 22.0.0,i came across some websites that says i need eclipse helios i havn’t got a chance yet to check it out, but i wanna know for sure.I really want to get this resolved my e-mail address is j_smith88248@yahoo.com, thanks

In Eclipse do this Window > Preferences > Android
      In Android location locate the folder in which you install Android SDK

You may also want to update Help > Check for Updates

You may also want to set the path
      Right click on the My Computer icon and select the properties tab
      Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button
      In the new dialog box dowble-click on Path (located under System Variables) and type in the full path location to the tools directory

I hope that helps

8. prateek says:

u still didn’t tell how to resolve the “Location of the android sdk has not been set up in the preferences”..

Preferences – Android – SDK Location and find the path to the SDK.

Also try Help – Check for Updates

Also try Window – Android SDK Manager and Update everything

• Anna says:

Hi Derek

My Android SDK Manager wont open it just shows a little box saying Location of the android SDK has not been setup in preferences.I tried to fix this by adding the path manually, but my computer doesn’t have a folder called android-sdks or android-sdk or sdk. I need this to start working asap as i have a deadline to finish an android application.I have also tried updating everything (says there is no more updates).
        Please Help!

Anna

9. julfikar says:

[2013-07-03 12:26:19 - Helloworld] ——————————
    [2013-07-03 12:26:19 - Helloworld] Android Launch!
    [2013-07-03 12:26:19 - Helloworld] adb is running normally.
    [2013-07-03 12:26:19 - Helloworld] Could not find Helloworld.apk!
    This is the error i am facing how to solve it???

10. macfreak says:

When i am trying to install the package….i keep on getting this error. Please solve this issue.
    Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
    Software being installed: Android Native Development Tools 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705 (com.android.ide.eclipse.ndk.feature.group 22.0.1.v201305230001–685705)

11. John Smith says:

can i use a debit card instead of a credit card to get the android account open?

12. t says:

Thanks for the tutorial. A classmate suggested I take a look at your tutorials and I beelined to this one because of the issue(s) I have been having with my emulators not showing the application.

I’ve applied the suggestions in the tutorial re making the emulator faster and specifying what to launch and which AVD to use.

The selection of which AVD to use seems to have prompted this set of lines in my Console:

“[2013-07-11 10:48:56 - Hello] Automatic Target Mode: Preferred AVD ‘WorkingAVD’ is not available. Launching new emulator.
    [2013-07-11 10:48:56 - Hello] Launching a new emulator with Virtual Device ‘WorkingAVD’
    [2013-07-11 10:49:24 - Hello] New emulator found: emulator-5554″

I’ve tried
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    and this hasn’t resolved the issue.

I’ve tried to reinstall Eclipse and the SDK and this hasn’t resolved the issue.

Previously, before uninstalling and reinstalling, and I believe even once after, I had a bunch of other types of errors (I think, as opposed to one consistent error) one of which started “No command output”…

Any elightenment on the matter would be VERY greatly appreciated! (Plus, I just recently out of despiration installed IntelliJ as an alternate IDE potential but I haven’t a clue how to start using it…I’m very new to programming and haven’t taken a single class nor read any great amount of book on operating systems/command line stuff.)

Thanks so much in advance…

13. t says:

O I should mention that I have deleted AVDs and even tried the AVD suggested on your tutorial – I am using an Linux (Ubuntu) system and I am pretty sure it’s the 32-bit version…(It’s on a dual boot with my Windows Vista on my Dell Inspirion 1720 that I got maybe about six years ago?)

I just saw this. What version of Eclipse are you using? Do you have a computer with Intel or AMD chips? Have you tried using the Windows version of Eclipse? It is a great deal less buggy. Use the Indigo version of Eclipse

• t says:

I’m using Kepler now that I deleted the previous version.

Intel chips I guess (a little sticker says “intel Pentium Dual Core inside” – I’m using that to make my guess).

No, I haven’t tried the Windows version yet. That is good to know…

Why Indigo instead of Kepler?…

Thanks for getting back to me!

I have decided to stick with Indigo because the Juno and Kepler versions don’t support a few plugins that I like to use. I have also had no problems with installing the Android plugin on numerous different OSs in computer labs. That is the only reason

14. Bill C says:

I have followed your advise and it solved most of my problems, however I still have some issues, one is I some times get an error on the emulator saying that “Sorry your app has stopped running” or “The emulator has stopped running” the last time I got this the app was there and came up when I clicked it. Also the emulator is painfully slow but I am using Windows 8 so their is most likely not a solution. Any advise you have would be appreciated.

15. Bill C says:

The emulator speed is not the real problem. For some reason I keep getting a error on the emulator saying sorry your app has stopped running. It seems to load alright but as soon as I select the app the app screen starts to open and the “Sorry your app has stopped running” comes up.

16. Justin says:

I have a problem. When I click on Android SDK manager, or something that’s related to Android SDK, it saids, Android SDK has not been set up in the preferences. Please help!

17. Lavakara says:

Hello Derek…

I’m a Electronics student.i’m planing to develope a android app.
    But i just have idea about app that how it shold look and how it should work.

Since i’m a electronic student i don’t have programing background.I just know C.

But some of my suggested me to learn java for android.So you teach java in this course or do you have any other tutorial about java wgich i can refer??

18. Aryan says:

Hello! Good day Derek! Your tutorials are wonderful. i’m following your instructions. The problem is, the hello world program doesn’t seem to run. There’s an error in the MainActivity.java that says R.cannot be resolved to a variable. I tried cleaning the project but it didn’t work. How am I suppose to solve this? Thank you!

Hello :) Look at all of your java files in your src directory and delete anything that looks like import R, or import android.R

Project – > Clean and restart Eclipse. Make sure you are using Eclipse Indigo with the Android plugin, which is what I use. I cover how to set it up here. It is a lot less buggy then everything else.

19. Corey says:

Hello Derek,

Ive watched the video but my problem is not in here. All these problems seemed to be able to open the emulator from the the android virtual device manager. Mine does not open the emulator at all. Again, I see the loading bar window appear, but the emulator window never shows up and the loading bar windows closes at about 90% and shows no messages or errors. Please help!

Try running Eclipse as an Administrator if you are on Windows.
      Try using JDK 1.6 if you are using JDK 1.7
      Make sure you shut down background processes that may be causing a conflict.
      Reinstall outside of the Program Files directory if on Windows.
      Make sure Java is in your path.
      If you are on Linux there are known Audio conflicts that cause crashes

I hope that helps
      Derek

20. maha says:

How to set andriod SDK preferences.Plz help me

21. GOM says:

Hej Derek

[2013-10-17 14:52:22 - SDK Manager] [SDK Manager] The system cannot find the path specified.

When I run my SDK manager from Eclipse (Indigo), I get this in console. It updates the packages, but I dont know why I get this path thing: I set the path environment variable to platform-tools and tools folder too..

22. Rathanak says:

when i run it show an error”cannot connect loop-back”. can you help me…
    thank

23. tom tom says:

Thank you very much for your good tutorials!!

24. jigar says:

how to open adt, error of panic: coud not open device

25. Sameer Singh says:

Hello Derek i really admire you for you videos i want to say thanks for your good tutorials but i will be happy if you solve my little problem.
    Derek actually i am beginner for android development, when i open SDK manager a box pops up notifying that android sdk ping has encountered a problem ,pingUsageserverfailed bad version 22.0.3 within details.

Also i have another problem that SDK manager is still unable to load complete packages it shows following error in log windows
    XML verification failed for http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml.
    Line -१:-१, Error: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; schema_reference.4: Failed to read schema document ‘null’, because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not

I have tried every thing you have shown in your video like checking box corresponding to “Force https://… etc.
    This problem exists.
    Derek please tell me what’s all that and how to fix them.
    Thanks Derek

26. Sara Ali says:

when I run emulator, only shows “Android”. It does not show main screen. After 1 hour of waiting, it still shows the “Android” screen.why is this happening and how to fix this?

27. Fong says:

Thank you for these great tutorial on Android development! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

Today, I followed your install tutorial installed eclipse indigo on my Mac. I also installed android developer tools. However, after I created MyFitstApp project, I see gen folder is empty which caused MainActivity.java not complied. I googled it but not successful. In addition, I cannot find Android SDK Manager location by searching the bundle. Please help!

Thanks so much for your time!

Fong

28. Fong says:

I noticed that you have the same mac laptop as mine. I got an error on installing the intel HXM hotfix(1.0.7). “VT/NX not present ” which prevents me from selecting x86-based AVD option.

You indicated you installed Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager (HAXM) release_1.0.4-hotfix. But I tried to install 1.0.4 hotfix, my machine says that I have a later version installed. Which version do you have when you installed using Android SDK manager?

Do you have any suggestions for me?

1. How to make VT/NX present?
    2. Which hotfix version should I install to workaround the problem #1.

Please help!

Thanks!

29. Leila says:

I have mac os 10.6.8 and my emulator is very slow. The links for the Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager, are different from what you provided in the video.

There are two links for mac os X and the second link (Hotfix for OS X 10.9 only (1.0.7)) is not compatible with my system. And the first link(haxm-macosx_r03.zip (1.0.6) ) is not what you showed in your video.

Please help!

Thanks!

30. residentevil says:

i have windows 8 ,have latest jdk,sdk manager pops up but then disappear,so i can’t downloaded packages,atom image etc.
    how to run sdk manager,need help??

31. Prateek says:

Error:The SDK Build Tools revision (19.0.3) is too low for project ‘:app’. Minimum required is 19.1.0

My Android Studio is displaying the above mentioned error in the ‘Messages Gradle Sync’ Dialog-box.Tell me how to resolve it.

32. Rahul Sawn says:

Hello there, I’m sorry if I’ve somehow missed it, but even though you said you’ll “Solve the Android SDK parse error problems.” I couldn’t find any references to them in the video or on this page.
    I keep getting these errors:

“parseSdkContent failed Could not initialize class android.graphics.Typeface”

“parseSdkContent failed java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError”

It was recommended on Stack Exchange that I delete my ‘C:\User\___\.android’ folder and restart Eclipse to get rid of these parse errors. Needless to say, that didn’t work. All the relevant packages have been successfully installed using the SDK Manager. I tried various combinations of the “clean” option in Eclipse, and building my project manually as opposed to having it done automatically. I’ve spent days on troubleshooting these and various other issues and I’d be greatly indebted if you’d help me out here!

33. ashish jha says:

i’m having getting an error of
    PANIC:Could not open

34. EB says:

Dear Derek,

I am a newbie in android application development. i have started to setup the development environment and have installed SDK and eclipse latest version. my computer (DELL Inspiron 1454) doesn’t have hardware virtualization technology therefore I can get the android virtual device run in my computer. is there no way to have an AVD or an alternative if there is to HVT support in your pc?

thanks