How I Make YouTube Videos

How I Make YouTube VideosThe most common question that I get is How I Make YouTube Videos. I have held off on making this video because I’m definitely not an expert at making videos. I didn’t want anyone to think I thought I was either.

However, the past few videos have been about answering common questions so I decided to answer it. I use very cheap tools to make YouTube videos. So, in this video I will do my best to show you everything I use. Hopefully it will motivate you to make your own πŸ™‚

If you like videos like this, it helps to tell Google+ with a click here

55 Responses to “How I Make YouTube Videos”

1. Monir says:

Hi Derek, Thank you for taking so much time making these tutorial for us. Free education rocks. It would be really helpful if you can share sequence diagram with the code.. that way we can jump start coding..

Also as a beginner which path should I follow..please advise..

2. Mike Moretti says:

Awesome! I like your philosophy. You are a great guy and I wish you lots of success. And stay clear of accident because we need you to do what you are doing.

Thank you πŸ™‚ Yes I wrecked because I was so exhausted from working 16 hour days, 6 days a week for 2 years straight. That day I got the stomach flu and just past out behind the wheel. I’ll never do it again!

3. Rajiv says:

Hello Derek-

Thanks for your great tutorial videos!

I am a founding team member for an ed-tech startup called LearnStreet where we teach students how to code for free via interactive lessons. We launched in Oct of last year and have had great traction with a large user base, growing each day. One of things we are interested in incorporating are open source video content to help compliment our existing beginner lessons in JavaScript, Ruby and Python.

I wanted to get in touch to inquire if your videos are open source and if it would be ok for LearnStreet to use on our website as part of our lesson curriculum.

Please let me know if this is a possibility.

Ping me with questions.

Thanks and look forward to hearing back.

Hi Rajiv,

I wish you the best with your site. It looks very nice πŸ™‚

As per my videos, anyone is free to embed them anywhere using YouTubes supplied way of embedding them. You are also free to use my code in any way that helps you. If you want to put my code on your site I am completely ok with that.

The only thing I don’t allow is for people to download my videos and then to upload them to YouTube, or other video sites. The reason why is because I have had situations in which copyright claims were filed against me by people that claimed they owned my videos. At one point I almost stopped making videos when over 100 of my videos were taken down.

I hope that clears everything up. I wish you the best

4. Shibaram says:

That’s so nice of you Derek! You areο»Ώ really awesome !!
    I just love you and couple of other guys like Bucky from the thenewboston
    for the work you guys do by helping people learning complex things in simpler ways. We respect and love you guys for your good deed.
    Thanks as always!

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ The only reason we do it is because you guys are so nice to us. Thank you for giving my videos a try. I greatly appreciate that!

5. Thanks Derek for your wonderful video tutorials. I watched your wordpress and soon go through android as I am planning to start learning it.

6. Anonymous says:

You are real inspirational..

7. Tunde says:

Thanks you for your wonderful video tutorials. It’s been a great help in my career. I wish you more years of successes.

8. Tunde says:

Thanks for your wonderful video tutorials. It’s been a great help in my career. I wish you more years of successes.

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ I’m very happy that you are enjoying them. I have many more videos planned. It has been very gratifying to help people all over the world!

9. Hasan says:

Derek, your videos are really awesome! I am learning Grails but I could not find the available online tutorials helpful. Your method of explanation is great. I request you to add Grails (a java framework) programming course to your videos pipeline. May Allah guide you to success and accept your work. Amen.

Thank you very much πŸ™‚ I have a Groovy and Grails tutorial that I have been playing with. I’ll see what I can do about getting it out soon. Thank you for the blessing. May God bless you and your loved ones as well πŸ™‚

10. Marty Lavin says:

Love your videos and your philosophy. It reminds me a little of the AA philosophy. That it is never too late or early to change. Try to have the strength to do it. I am glad the accident woke you up. I had a friend that fell asleep at the wheel and died after working a mandatory 13 hour shift. We sometimes push ourselves beyond our limits, for what!!

You go at a nice clip and are a natural teacher. On suggestion would be to repeat the important/confusing facts, and slow the tempo when repeating it. I don’t thing many people would find this condescending. This is what I learned from DePaul’s school of education. I was computer programmer, then a math and science teacher. Now I am back into programming.

Thanks again for your excellent videos covering practical(money making) interesting topics,

Marty Lavin

Thank you for the kind words Marty πŸ™‚ Yes I have no idea why I let other people push me around for so long. They basically just took advantage of my need to always do a good job. Those days are gone now and I just hope more people can wake up and enjoy their lives.

Thank you for the tips. I constantly try to improve my teaching style. In my last video I started interjecting little quizzes to keep them more interactive. I will also make sure I recover the confusing parts.

Thanks again

11. shresta says:

Become your fan today. just wanted to let you know you are awesome.

12. Andy says:

I just want to say thank you so much for making all these videos you have helped so many people in my class in London so much.

I wanted to ask you how do you make slideshow like videos? Like your hypnosis and influence videos, i have been searching every on iMovie but cannot find the option, would it be possible you could make a tutorial on how to do that? Only if you have time.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the nice compliments πŸ™‚ I’m very happy that I could help.

I record screen captures using Camtasia 2. You can do the same thing with QuickTime player though. The only reason I use Camtasia is so I can zoom. The presentation tool I use is Keynote.

Always feel free to ask questions. I’m more then happy to help.

13. Derek,

I am enjoying your work and I just wanted to continue to give you props for creating a very impressive and extensive video library for free! Like it or not you my friend, you are part of the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Movement. Your teaching philosophy complements what and why FOSS was started. Keep up the good work!!!

Be Blessed!!!

Thank you πŸ™‚ I try to do my best. I’m amazed that people all over the world are watching my videos. I hope that with the help of others we can create a completely free education on most every topic online for the world. That would be amazing! May God bless you as well.

14. Anonymous says:

How you make youtube videos πŸ™

15. How you make youtube videos on woozworld?????

16. Ican'tspellanonimousbutiwilltryanonioums says:

Hey Derek I am doing a music contest through Youtube. I would like to ask how I would record my video of me playing guitar. I don’t want to buy anything, I only made an account for the contest afterwards I will probably just delete it. Any suggestions?

Up until a few weeks ago I used a basic iPod headphone microphone. They are pretty good. I’d go that route if you don’t want to spend a lot of money. Something like a Blue Microphone Snowball is another cheap alternative.

• Ican'tspellanonimousbutiwilltryanonioums says:

Thanks for the suggestions I ended up borrowing a friend’s smartphone and using the video recorder to upload it. Thank you so much though I will keep those in mind if I ever need to buy stuff for recording

17. Takwa says:

thank you for making effort to help us in our study and work , may allah gives you success and all what you want πŸ™‚

18. matthew says:

so what if you have a macbook computer can you still make a youtube video?

19. Alexander says:

I have always been interested in programming and web design but unfortunately I’m not good at it and I find it very complicated and abstract. I really envy people like you that know all this stuff. I wish I had your videos 15 years ago when I was in college. It would have helped me a lot. Subscribed to your channel on YouTube, made some playlists with your videos in them and discovered your blog here. I watch your videos practically every day.

I included a link to my website. Maybe you could be so kind to answer my question that I’ve had for some years now. I have a guestbook that was filled with junk all the time by spam robots or whatever. Is there a way to avoid this? I’ve heard of captcha but I don’t understand it. And server side scripting is not allowed by my ISP.

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks a million for all the good work you do.

Hi Alexander,

Learning how to program is just like working out a muscle. You should look at my Android development for beginners tutorial. It may help. I promise you that I am no genius.

As per your website, why not convert it into a wordpress site? That is what my site is. It handles the spam wonderfully. It has free programs you can install with a click for things like guest books and more. WordPress is free and many wonderful designs are also free.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about it. I’ve made about 100 videos on WordPress.

I hope that helps πŸ™‚

20. Swede says:

Hi Derek!
    I recently stumbled upon your awesome website as I searched the web for tutorials on Java. I have studied C++, C# and now Java SE8. I was interviewed for a position lately as a Java Developer as I thought I knew enough about the language to get a job. Boy, did I ever humble myself during the interview. I was totally dumbfounded when the interviewer wanted me to write a string, and reverse it without using any of Javas Stringbuilder classes that would normally be used for such a task. He wanted me to cast the string to a char array, reverse the array and reassemble the string including the spaces. ie (It is a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before) (changed to: before done ever have I than do I thing better far far, a is It). Ugh! I felt like a total “Edder” and what’s worse, did not get the job. Have you considered offering videos on the topic of programming interviews? Thanks again Derek! You are the dude! PS – Do you know the solution to the task the interviewer asked me? Thanks…

21. Ankur says:

Thank you very much for very nice tutorials. πŸ™‚
    You are cool and simplistically straight on your points. πŸ™‚

22. Aleksandar says:

I would just like to know how do you learn all this stuff you teach, is it from the books or other tutorials ?
    I would like to learn a lot more and you’re such a great inspiration, thank you for that and for all those tutorials you make!
    Btw you’re very funny πŸ˜€

Kind regards, Aleksandar

Thank you πŸ™‚ I just learn from reading books like most everyone else. When something is new I study the API provided. I’ll walk through each line of code and document what is happening until everything makes sense. You may also benefit greatly from studying Object Oriented Design and UML.