Android Development for Beginners 3

App Inventor ActivityStarterIn the next 2 parts of my App Inventor video tutorial I will take a step back and cover a bunch of topics in general. I’ll spend a lot of time showing how to use the App Inventor ActivityStarter. We’ll see how to open other App Inventor apps, browsers, email, Google Maps, YouTube and more.

I’ll also cover using lists, event handling, sliders, notifier, check boxes and much more. All the blocks I drew in the video follow below the video to help.

If you like videos like this it helps to tell Google Plus with a click here

Blocks Used in the Video

Click the image below twice to view it full screen

App Inventor Blocks

24 Responses to “Android Development for Beginners 3”

1. boss boy says:

Hello and thank u so much!!! But I would like to know a FREE and EASY way to create a game like do u think u could make a game \ app creator for the Google play store??

2. Eva says:

I am making a personal app to record BP readings and having trouble understanding how to set up the interface. I want to display the results in a csv three column table with headings. Could you please make a video showing how to set this up and display it (and print or copy if possible). Your videos are much easier to understand than most and I would greatly appreciate your help in this.

3. Eva says:

In my comment about setting up a CSV table I forgot to mention that I want to store the data in a tiny DB on my device. I can’t find any source on the net that goes into storing persistent data and displaying it in a table format. App inventor has the blocks for this but is it for fusion tables only?

4. Zeev says:

Hi, Is there a way to get the source code of the making an app with MIT App Inventor ?

5. Mike says:

I apparently have missed some of this video on how the slider works and the other components started in this video. I also saw that in the beginning of video 4 there are several more buttons that I didn’t see anything about in this video. Did I miss a 3.5 or something?

6. MBO says:

Hello Derek,
    Thank you very much for your amazing tutorials! I have looked everywhere and your explanation along with your videos are absolutely the best!

I wanted to ask for a tutorial on how to add zoom/pinch ability when showing an image that is shown initially at 100%(a floorplan image) and allow user to zoom in for a better view. I tried using Webviewer but the image loads all the way zoomed (a letter on the map covers the whole screen).
    Thank you very much!

You’re very welcome 🙂 Thank you for the compliment. As you’ll see by the end of this beginners tutorial you’ll actually know how to make Java Android apps. In my new Android tutorial I’ll definitely cover how to manipulate images.

7. khalid says:

you are an amazing. Thanks for the efforts you are putting to teach people.

Regards,
    Khalid

8. yume says:

Hello, I have been watching some of your android tutorials and thought of one that could help me with this game I’m playing.
    It’s one of those build/simulation games. I always run out of money to build stuff and to get money you have to keep coming back to the game and click a button to collect the coins after a certain amount of time. I wanted to build an app that will run in the background (so it runs while I have the game app open) and set a timer so that every # minutes or so it will perform a click event for me (to collect the coins).

It would help if you can make a tutorial for apps that can run while another program is open? Thank you!!

9. Roger says:

Hello Derek,

I am writing a simple app that brings me to a webpage and I face a problem with the display. What should I do to accommodate the whole width of the webpage to fit into my screen, and how do I zoom in and out? Thanks in advance.