Ask Me Anything Video

Ask Me AnythingA bunch of people have been asking me to do an “Ask Me Anything”, so today I did just that.

I basically answered every question I received over a 1 hour and 45 minute period. Sorry about the lighting, but that is the best I could do for $50 🙂 Thank you to everyone that contributed to this video. It was a ton of fun for me!

If you like videos like this feel free to share on google+

37 Responses to “Ask Me Anything Video”

1. Tim says:

I’m really really really really really really glad you will be focusing on android development this year!!!! Looking forward to the webservices tutorials as well since I believe that it will be important to the android tutorials just as you said about inkscape.Thank you for all youve done.

2. kuldeep says:

missed it as it was too late for me . i am in India .. but luv this recording !

3. Mohamed says:

Hello Derek,

First I want to thank you for all of your sharing. We are lucky to have u :).

I have a couple of questions that I hope u can advice on them. I am wondering what is your approach ( steps) when u start in a project , I mean starting from gathering business needs to build interfaces. And second what is best java java web framework ?

Thanks again for ur time.

4. Samuel says:

When are the android game tutorials coming? So looking forward to it…

5. kishon says:

take your time Derek thank you for all your hard work

6. Biff says:

I’ve been learning quite a bit from your Inkscape Tutes. I appreciate them. Two quick comments or questions though.

Just a minor suggestion. On all your tutorials it might be helpful to let viewers know which release your using since things change from version to version. I’m using 0.48 in Inkscape and it seems from the screen icons in the video you seem to be using an earlier version. Just a bit confusing until I figured it out.

Also I’ve tried several ways to keep my default settings, (layers swatches etc)for the next time I open Inkscape… so far nothing works. Do you have any surefire way to do that?
    Thanks and keep up the good work. I’m contributing, not much but hope it helps.

Biff

7. Dheeraj says:

Just wondering if you have covered tutorials on creating Java Web Applications. Involves being able to save files on the web-server such that users can access it?

Kind Regards,

Dheeraj

8. Aamir says:

I have left a question in JTrees some 15 days ago do u mind answering it plz!!

9. mick says:

great videos and very helpful …. thanx
    in MVC video you add an inner class, why ?
    how about concert, abstract etc.

again many thanx

10. Sarah says:

I google and find this website today,

There’re a lot of contents as same as yours!
    It looks are without your consent? or you did teach in India before…

11. Henry w. says:

Will you cover blender eventually with android game programming?

12. swanand says:

Hi derek,
    I saw few android videos of yours it is just awesome n helped me a lot thanks for making such type of videos.
    I am making a simple android app in which i have an image and i wanted this image to be displayed in circular shape so if possible help me for this. thanking you…

Thank you 🙂 I’m glad you are enjoying them. You can use transparent pngs which would help. I plan on spending more time on interface design soon after covering App Inventor.

13. MohamedBK says:

I want to do an application of common rail injector with java swing and C#
    how can I make an initiation in that kind of app development

14. Aymen says:

Thank you for your tutorials ! You are really a great developer !

I am asking you to make some video tutorial about some PHP Frameworks, specially Symfony and Zend, please.

15. Scott says:

Hey Derek, how are things?

I am having a little issue and was wondering if you could help or point me in the right direction.

I have a Search box on an online printer cartridge store that I designed. The Search works just fine, but almost too well.

Let’s say I type, Laserjet 4 into the box. I get everything that has Laserjet and 4 in it, such as Laserjet Pro M451.

If I use quotes and type, “Laserjet 4” it narrows it a lot further but I’ll still get stuff like Laserjet 4500.

Is there some sneaky way to just get the results with Laserjet 4 in them? If it helps, the website is http://www.theonlinetonerstore.com You wont see the printers for the cartridge unless you are on the Single Product page, reached by clicking a product.

As always thank you for your help, as this site would not have been possible without your amazing tutorials.

Hey Scott,

Thank you 🙂 You could do a bunch on things. You could make your SQL queries more specific. You could use limit in your queries to limit results. Are you using MySQL? I have a bunch of tutorials on it that may help.

16. Abhishek Saware says:

Hello Sir
    what is the harder task in software campany ?

I want to ask which is the complicated task an IT company deals with ?

Plz replay

Hi,

That depends. I have been brought in as a consultant to many companies and the worst part for me is poor documentation. Most failed projects I have been involved with occurred because a lead programmer didn’t document their code or create understandable sequence diagrams. Then when they leave the whole project collapses.

Aside from that solving problems in a flexible way and creativity.

17. Alex says:

Just want to say awesome work and i really appreciate all the tutorials you have made i have seriously learnt a lot from you and you truely deserve my thank you.

I wanted some advice from you, i want to start developing iphone apps and wanted to know which programming languages would i need to start learning? Also i wanted to ask you, you must have heard of the app ‘instagram’ i wanted to know is that a actual mobile app or is that a html5 app if you knew? Any ways best of luck and keep up the good work.

Hi Alex,

I’m very happy that I could help 🙂 To make iPhone apps you can either get one of the graphical tools like Titanium, PhoneGap, etc. or you could learn Objective C. That is basically all you need to learn.

As per Instagram, it looks like it was made using Objective C. There isn’t much to Instagram except they were lucky enough to get popular. I wish you all the best.