Android Studio Tutorial

Android Studio TutorialI have been getting Android Studio requests for a while now so I decided to make one. In my opinion Android Studio is finally better then Eclipse for developing Android apps. It is also very easy to install.

We’ll look at how to install it on Windows and Mac OSX. Then well configure everything properly to make sure we handle the potential errors. We set up gitHub and go over how to push to remote repositories. We then look at Gradle, the interface and much more.

If you like videos like this it helps my search ranking if you share on Google Plus with a click here

Links Referenced in the Video

Download Java 1.7
Android Studio Download
Android OEM USB Drivers
Git Tutorial

Android Virtual Device

Android Virtual Device

26 Responses to “Android Studio Tutorial”

1. Vikram Jadhav says:

Hi Derek
    Thank you for your Great tutorials.

When I use android studio to code your contacts app tutorial
    it is giving me an error “Unfortunately The application is stopped.” after deploying it in emulator. Why is that?

2. unknown says:

Derek, please update your android studio.

3. cody says:

everytime i try to open android studio, it gives me “Error launching android Studio no JVM installation found”

4. Kian says:

I encountered this error when installing Android SDK Manager.

URL not found: c:\Program Files(x86)\Android\android-studio\sdk\temp\ (Access is denied).

Are you able to help ?

Thank You !

5. Joseph Dunston says:

This is more a curiosity. I have been using Eclipse to do my development and have seen, but not used Android Studio. Why did you chose to use Android Studio over Eclipse.

I have not watched the video and if this is answered in the video, I apologize.

I use Android Studio now because it is geared completely towards making Android apps. Nothing gets in the way and all the plugins I need are preinstalled.

6. Adric says:

I am 14 minutes into your video and it seems that my preview on the right has disappeared and replaced with a message “rendering problem: no android sdk found”. Why may this be and how can I fix this?

7. samer says:

When i try to add a virtual device it seems that i cant press the ok button after i fell in the information about the device.
    I am using w7 64 bit, android studio 8.0 Beta, 1.7.67 jdk.
    Do you know any thing about this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

8. Paul says:

I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. I’ve tried a few other tutorials and things haven’t worked at all. I couldn’t figure out if it was because i was using windows 8 or the new android studio or what but it wouldn’t work. I watched your video and it works! So whatever it was, thanks! 🙂

9. secc says:

Hi Derek, Love your work. I have just started your Android tutorial with this video but am stuck on the Git bit. Androis studio is setup and working, i went to git and set up an account but when i try to import version control\share project on github (at 11:18 in the video), i keep getting an error fatal: remote origin already exists git. I have deleted the repository, retried, deleted, etc etc… head is wrecked at now!
    It would have been nice if you had of covered git in THIS video, i know there is a seperate git video but as this is for beginners, it would have been helpful especially as this seems to be a common enough issue.
    Thanks for your work.

Thank you : Try VCS -> Enable version Control -> Git and then in the directory where you have your files type remote add and then VCS -> Commit changes -> Commit & Push

fatal: remote already exists that means you already added it. To see your remotes do git remote -v and git remote rm to remove.

10. Nagendran says:

When i create a new project on android studio 0.8.6 i will get the error on .xml file rendering problems. please help me.

11. Johnny says:

First of all thanks for the great videos… I would love to see them all. and for the past few days I have been spending several HOURS (seriously) on your site and youtube channel.
    I don’t know if this is an obvious question but is it possible to install on Win 8.1?
    I was able to install more or less everything but when I tried to run the AVD I have no devices in the list and when I try to create I have the ‘OK’ button grayed out… Any tips?

12. Nauman says:

sir i install android studio on my windows 8.1 …
    when i open it it give an error(“No JVM Installation found.plese install a 64-bit JDK…. “). then i search on it on google an found 1 way in each site that from environment variable but the link of java folder not including bin folder.. but nothing happened .. the same error appears …
    plz sir help me..

Make sure you are using Java 7 and not 8. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables and add JAVA_HOME=YourPathToJava (Something like \Java2\jdk1.7.0) I hope that helps