Ok, you’ve been hacked. Stay calm your information is not going to be lost forever. At best you’ll be able to restore everything by just reinstalling wordpress through the Go Daddy interface. At Worst you’ll have to backup a few things, then reinstall WordPress, Themes and Plugins. In this article I’ll walk you through the process.
The Easy Way to Reinstall After a Hack
See my previous tutorial. If that doesn’t fix everything then your in the right place. What you have to understand is that hackers leave their nasty code in your plugins or themes mostly all of the time. So we have to delete and reinstall those.
There is an easy way to do this if you have a Go Daddy Account.
- Delete your old themes and reinstall a new theme on WordPress. (The code seems to normally hide in the themes)
- Change your FTP, Go Daddy, and WordPress Passwords
- Logon to Go Daddy
- Click Hosting in your left side bar. It’s under the link labeled My Products.
- Click the Manage Account link next to the infected site
- Click the Your Applications button
- Click My Applications, in the upper left hand corner
- Click on the blue WordPress link next to the domain that was infected
- Proceed to reinstall WordPress. Your database will also be backed up.
That should have fixed it. If not you have an infection in your plugin’s which means you have to reinstall them:(
Easy Plugin Reinstall, Sort of
You should try to make the reinstall of your plugin’s as quick as possible. Write down all of the following information that applies to you:
- List of Plugins you use
- Akismet ID Code
- Titles, Descriptions and Keywords for All in One SEO
- Google Analytics Code
- Yahoo API ID
- Any other Special Codes used for Social Networking Plugins
Now you should be able to quickly reinstall all of your plugins.
The Hard way to Completely Reinstall WordPress
How to Backup your Database in Go Daddy
- Login to Go Daddy and Click Hosting in your Left Sidebar
- Click on the link Manage Account, next to the website that was hacked
- Put mouse on Databases in your Top Bar and then click MySQL
- Click on the Pencil Button to the Far Right of the WordPress Database
- Click on Backup, to Backup your WordPress Database
Copy Files you Know Aren’t Infected
- Follow the directions above on saving plugin codes, but not the plugin’s themselves
- Image Files, Code you Completely Understand and Can Read, Plain Text Files, etc.
- No Plugins, Themes, or Anything you Don’t Understand. By understand, I mean if you can program and know the code is safe keep it. If you can’t read code however it has to go.
- Right Down All your Plugin Information
- Copy the Google, MSN and Yahoo Special Files that Prove Ownership of the Site
How to Uninstall WordPress
Only Uninstall WordPress after Go Daddy Sends you an Email Notifying you that they have Backed up your Database
- Go to Hosting Control Center (Login – Hosting in Left Side Bar – Manage Account Link Next to your Website)
- Click on Your Applications Button
- Click on My Applications in Upper Left Hand Corner, under the Words “Hosting Connection”
- Click on WordPress Link Next to your Website Name
- Click the Uninstall Link Only After Notification from Go Daddy that the Database has Been Backed up
How to Reinstall WordPress
I made a video and wrote an article on how to do this. If you don’t want to watch that just follow these directions:
- Login to Go Daddy
- Click on Hosting in Left Side Bar
- Click Manage Account Next to your Website
- Click on Your Applications
- Click on Blogs and then Click WordPress
- Click Install Now
- Agree to Terms
- Click in the Radio Button Next to the Website you Want to Install WordPress on and Click Continue
- Leave the Database Description Set for WordPress, Enter your Password Twice and Click the Next Button
- If you want WordPress to be your Main Page Delete the WordPress Directory that Follows your Domain Address
- Type in your Admin Name, Passwords, Email and Blog Title and Click Finish
- WordPress will Install in a few Minutes
Connecting Database to New WordPress Site
- Get to the Manage Account Area in Go Daddy
- Under the Databases heading, click MySQL.
- Click the Open Manager button.
- Enter your user name and password for your database.
- Click the database into which you are importing data.
- On the far upper-left corner of the page, click the SQL button. This will be immediately to the right of the green Exit button.
- Click the Import files tab in the new window that appears.
- Click Browse, and then locate the .SQL file on your machine.
- Click Go.
- This will Update your Database
New Plugin’s you Have to Get
These plugin’s have really helped keep hacker’s at bay.
- Antivirus for WordPress: Eliminates a lot of WordPress Security Flaws and Checks your Blog Daily and sends you an Email Update
- WordPress Firewall Plugin: Protects Plugins, Themes and the Site in General. Eliminates Hacker’s Ability to Inject Harmful Code.
The Firewall Plugin is actually so strong it blocks you from changing your own themes if you don’t type in your ip address. You make your home computer a valid editor by copying the IP Address that is after the words “Your current IP is”, and pasting that in the text area marked Whitelisted IP’s.
That’s All Folks
Just reinstall your Plugin’s and Theme’s and you should not only have eliminated the virus, but created a wall that is much harder to break through because of the plugin’s. If you have any questions leave them below.
Till Next Time